Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i got my old bearing removed and new one installed on the axle.. now just trying to figure out how to remove the old seal at the wheel housing to replace it with a new one.. what do i do?

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I use a slide hammer with a hook bit on the end of it. Pops the seal right out. If not, you should be able to carefully pry it out with a screwdriver and a hammer. Just make sure you only do damage to the seal and not the axle tube!

To install, just use a soft mallet and a brass punch. Or, if you can get your hands on a socket or piece of pipe that is as big as the seal, you can use that to ease it in. Take your time so you dont get it started crooked.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I have had more success using the tip of the axle shaft to pry the seal loose than with the screwdriver method...for what it's worth.

Good luck
MrFreeze

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The seals are only lightly pressed in. Just hook something behind it and yank. Don't forget to use some sealant on the seal when you press in the new one.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You want to use something with the same diameter as the bearing when you tap the bearing into place. I found a PVC plumbing connection at the hardware store that was the right size. HTH

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah! i found a small pry bar, got it behind the seal and pry'd it right out.. now getting the new seal in place, i also found a PVC tubbing but when i hit it, the seal keeps going at an angle on me.. i guess i'll have to keep trying tomorrow.. i'm done for the night :) Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts