Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got my new wheel bearings pressed on the axles and they are roughly 13/16" wide and they are sticking out of the housing by 1/8"

I spoke to Dallas Mustang and they informed me I might possibly have a 67+Rear End but I am fairly sure this is the original 66 8" V8 Rear End Housing.

The internal housing has a capacity of 11/16".

I spoke to the people who sold me the bearing but being just a parts house they were no use.

Any Ideas?

I can post pictures of necessary.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out I have a tag on the rear end that hes WDW-B marked on it, and after doing some research I found out its from a mercury comet, montego, or ford fairlane.

That does not still help because they all share the same wheel bearing.

Can somebody please take some measurements of their bearings and housing and let me know what they find.

I have a flange to flange width of 52 1/4-1/2" with the bare housing.

Something is not right and its driving me insane

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are you sure that your axle seals are fully inserted? You wouldn't be the first! LOL!

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are inserting an axle in a housing without a backing plate, the bearing will appear too wide. Install the backing plates and all will be well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah dodgestang thats how it looks.

The amount sticking past the housing may not be that bad but yeah same deal

I will take some pictures of the internals of the housing and what the gap is sticking out.

Does anyone have any pictures of their housing?

Thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are inserting an axle in a housing without a backing plate, the bearing will appear too wide. Install the backing plates and all will be well.
What backing plate are you talking about? I have a retainer plate is that the same?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
What backing plate are you talking about? I have a retainer plate is that the same?
No....drum brakes have a back plate and disc brakes do to. It fits between the retainer and the flange.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some pictures to help out.

I might start a new thread asking what housing this really is. Maybe that will help me identify what bearing is needed.

Hope those pictures help

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
The backing plate from the drum brakes covers up the exposed area of the bearing. Since you don't have the backing plate on, the bearing looks like it's sticking out too far.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can somebody please tell me the order of the gaskets that go on

I have 2 different gaskets, one is oval and the other is oval with a notch cut out

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
oh man thank you sooo much!!!
YW. I can't tell you how many times I've made a big deal out of something like that only to find out there was a very simple answer later on. This is one of the reasons I love this forum.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's stupid is both my Uncle and I discussed this after I read you're post and he was like yeah I was wondering what held the drums to the rear end haha

After I got back into the workshop I noticed the old gaskets still stuck on the drum plate. Doh!! I pulled the rear end apart too fast and figured I would remember but guess that didn't happen.

All torqued down and ready for some brake hardware work/replacement.

Thanks again guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts