Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago we did fix the lower corners of my rear window, which had been rusted thru.
When this was done we used a new reproduction gasket for the window.

A little later Ive noticed that water was leaking into the trunk, and that it must be coming from the rear window (where else?!).

Since Im not driving in rain that much, and I only wash the car occasionally (as it dosent get too dirty-not driving in rain), Ive only just noticed that it even "leaks" inside!
Ive noticed that there were drops of water on the headliner as well as the insde of the window gasket.

Now here my question. Obviously it is the window gasket that isnt working that well.
Do you guys usually use some sealant/glue in addition to a window gasket?
Or are you only using the gasket as well?

Weve only used the repop (brand???) gasket and went to work.
Obviously that didnt work well... . /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

What are your experiences/pro tips?

Thanks
Nick

G

·
hey nick, we used the repo gaskett and ours leaked too. sooo, i got some of that clear runny
windshield sealer from autozone, permatex i believe, and sealed it up. did on a hot day and
the stuff evidently found the leak as no more leak. used prep wash to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose you didnt remove the window again, in order to apply the stuff?
Sounds like a good way, apply it and let it find a way to the leak, and close it! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Im not really fond of the idea of getting the rear window out again, so if thats a way to fix it,
Ill definately give it a try... .

THANKS!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
believe you should have used 3M glazing goop to seal window - you stuff as much as you can get in around rubber gasket anf wimow frame. you should have noticed a lot of it when you removed the window. the gasket willl not stop water alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts