Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do when you want to take the kids for a cruise??

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Tell them to follow behind in their own Mustangs ::

Sorry, couldn't resist ::

When mine were little enough to worry about it, things weren't as stringent as they are today. I used to just strap the car seats into the back of my '66 I had then and go for a drive. The car seats in those days could be fastened in with just the lap belts.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I put 3 point retractable Anderson belts in the back of the vert in my sig pic ;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Make sure that when/if you install shoulder belts that the angle of the upper mounting point is not too low, as it appears to be in MidPacks picture.

SFI, the safety standards organization for NASCAR, NHRA, SCCA, etc, says:
The end attachments of the shoulder harness must also be installed at appropriate angles. The ideal position is anywhere between 5° below and 30° above the driver's shoulder, as seen in part C of the Figure.

If the upper attachment point falls significantly below the driver's shoulder, then a spinal compression injury is likely to occur. In an accident situation, the shoulder belts pull down and back on the torso as they resist the forward motion of the driver. The resultant restraint force compresses the spinal column and will add to the stresses in the spine already caused by the force of the crash impact.

On the other hand, if the trailing ends of the harness are too far above the shoulder (greater than 30°), then two problems can occur. First, tension in the shoulder harness is increased and undue stress is applied to the harness and its structural attachments. Second, excessive angle will cause excessive motion. If the harness belts are too far above the shoulder, they will provide little resistance to forward motion of the driver's upper torso. The result is impact with the steering wheel and the possibility of neck injury. The shoulder straps should also be 3-6" apart behind the driver's neck to prevent slippage off the shoulders.
http://www.sfifoundation.com/seatbelt.gif

They have an article related to the standard they issued for safety restraint systems: SEAT BELTS - Essential to Driver Safety

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put 3 point retractable Anderson belts in the back of the vert in my sig pic ;)
I have standard ones in the frontseats and that is okey, how do you mount them in the backseat?? and where can I get them??

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I tried to find the pic`s I took when installing the rears, gotta be here somewhere. Probably at home ::
I know the fronts are at an extreme angle, but I would rather have that than just lap belts ::
The rears were actually easier to install than the fronts, but I did have to drill a hole for the retractors. They fit nicely in the top well behind the seat. For the other two attachments, I just used the factory seatbelt holes.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I know the fronts are at an extreme angle, but I would rather have that than just lap belts ::
The point is, choosing between "just lap belts" and a dangerously installed shoulder harness is not your only option. :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, so where do you find these 3-point Anderson seat belts?

This is something I've wanted for my vert, but have been told that I would need to install a rollbar if I wanted shoulder harnesses for the front.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
OOOPS It`s not anderson, it`s Andover :eek:
Andover

You can read Hoosierbuddy`s writeup on how he installed them also. ::

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Another good source is Julianos, who have the best designed attachment hardware.

See this thread for more on installation issues and another good source for seat belt kits.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES - thanks for you time ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
test om pic
http://www.sitecenter.dk/bankmand/nss-folder/scrapbog/kabine%20forerside.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts