Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my bezel in my '66 so I could replace it, the lens, and the bulbs. Plus side is that now I can read the gauges at night, and see the turn signals.

The problem is, I can't reattach the nut on the speedometer cable to the screw on the back of the speedometer itself. It almost touches, but just not enough to screw it on. Any helpful suggestions?

Am I going to have to take off the dash pad, or will that not help, either?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Forgive my stupidity here.... did you replace the instrument cluster itself, or the speedo cable? You didn't say you did, but if not why shouldn't it connect if it did before? Did you try removing the screws and making sure that the cluster is seated fully in your dash?

Steve

·
Registered
553 Posts
i pulled my speedocable to lube it and it was a real pain to get reattched. mainly because it's real awkward to get to and then you got that mess of wires. if it was attached before than i cant really see why it wouldnt go back on, it could be that the slack in your cable housing has slipped back toward the transmission. dont yank the cable housing, but see if you can coax it up a little more so you can screw it on, it might be hung up in the hole where it exits the interior.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
What you need is more slack. Disconnect it at the transmission. Pull it up to the speedo, connect it. Go back and reconnect transmission end. Its that easy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the cluster. What has me slightly worried is that I didn't unscrew the cable, it popped off when I unscrewed the cluster. I was going to unscrew the bezel, then the cable from the back of the bezel, but the cable came off on its own.

I think the suggestion about more slack is correct, the housing just doesn't meet the screw as it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts