Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the oppportunity to buy an 89 Lincoln Mk VII with 160,000 miles for 600. Car has 5.0 HO. Once out of the car, I can have the engine rebuilt for 1250 and the trans rebuilt for 600. On paper, I will have a transplant 5.0 HO and AOD trans for less than 2500. I guess for some additional $ I could have the shop warm it up a bit 'while they are at it'. Does this make sense? Should I do this or start with a crate motor?

Thanks in advance.

jim

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
If you have faith that the engine is healthy, other than the normal wear-and-tear of 160K miles, and you have faith in the machine shop, I'd say go ahead and rebuild.

I have heard good things about Central Coast Mustangs' work. You can get a complete engine from them for less than the $2500.00 you are talking about, but it won't come with the EFI or AOD.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I followed a similar plan w/1993 five-oh engine. I replaced all EFI parts including camshaft, timing cover and serpentine belt w/associated carb parts and v-belts. The initial estimate was $1575 including balancing. The final bill was $1820 not including the AFR 165s. As you can see adding go-fast parts increases the cost.

IMHO that AOD rebuild estimate is cheap. There have been 3 co-workers that had Ford AOD rebuilds that cost between $1400-2000 including myself (91 T-bird SC). I would be more concerned about the AOD rebuild cost. My $0.025 (paying for my rebuild). Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brother of a friend manages a trans shop. He want's the trans delivered to his house so he can take it to the shop. I did not know if he was offering me a deal or not. I guess he really is....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
did the $1,400-2,000 include the removal and installation? Did that include building up the transmission?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Standard rebuild w/o shift kit or go-fast parts. A Ford dealership did one rebuild and the transmission failed w/in 2 weeks. I complained to the service manager and paraphrasing his answer, "The technician looked at the (failed) part and decided it was OK." What a crock of sh#$! Instead of a complete rebuild I was given an 'economy rebuild' to keep costs low. The AOD rebuild sounds like a good price. My experiences say otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts