Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I just got my engine rebuilt (looking like its a 302, 68-9 something like that... I thought it was a 289 before) Anywayz, my '89 trans am driving friend who helps me with my car is telling me to put in certain kinds of oil... but I'm not sure if he knows... he says to break it in to synthetic. Is that a good idea? he says so many miles on regular, then blend, then synthetic... but I don't know what that means... anybody done this and have suggestions? thanks a lot!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do not use synthetic oil for at least 10,000 miles or your rings will never seat in. Use a light petroleum oil for the first 500 miles or so than use any good multigrade.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about not using synthetic for brand new engines, I've heard about problems with seals not sealing,
rings and bearings not seating properly etc... Years ago I talked to Joe Mondello when I was building big Olds motors, he always broke them in using non-detergeant oil for 500-1000 miles then picked an oil and stuck with it... (before synthetic was widely available) I would assume once the break-in period was
complete there wouldnt be any problem.

64.5 convertible (restomod in progress)
sold the COBRA for family sedan (new addition)

I dont need my wifes permission....
I'm not above begging forgiveness!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
There are many schools of thought on this subject,I don't believe there is any one right way. What works for one builder may not for another. However, I always recommend MY customers to use SAE 30 non-detergent oil for the fist 500-1000 miles, I've found that to work the best in getting the rings to seat faster. Then switch over to whatever the manufacturer recommends for that engine.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/030/44/30304480.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts