Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some wonderful help from people on this and the old forum, I have realized that I will need to rebuild my 67 289.

And thanks to some good karma or the alignment of the planets the old farmer across the street had a 2v 289 out of a 67 Mustang in his barn that he gave me to free up room which means no down time of my car while I can rebuild.

Here is where my questions come in. I am fairly handy, but this is something that I want to make sure is done right and with a reasonable budget. This is going to be my daily driver car and I would like it to have some get up and go and still not drink gas like it is going out of style.

Any help, suggestions, warnings, cost estimates, tips and steps to take first would be greatly appreciated. I know I will be posting here with questions throughout the process so I would like to thank everyone in advance.

I am not looking for parts suggestions as much as overall procedures. <What can I do myself, what does a machine shop need to do, should I just take it into a shop and have them do it, etc>

Other then having my eye on a Edelbrock carb and intake, I am wide open as far as parts are concerned.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by grizzilla on 03/10/01 04:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Take a look at Tom Schmidt's links to popular books for Mustang restorers....there is a big group of engine books there..

Reading up on the engine and how it works is the first step....

I've learned my skills from experience and apprenticing so I can't give you a personal suggestion on what to buy but others here likely can...

When you've read up on your prospective rebuild and have some specific questions about proceeding, we'll be happy to help out...

Good luck!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
A good general book I like is Tom Monroe's How to Rebuild Your Small Block Ford. It'll give you a good idea what's involved.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid over a thousand to have my engine rebuilt by someone else, and I am less than thrilled. It's probably a good idea to do it yourself. I also was looking at Monroe's book. I should have got that book and do it myself, then I would have noone to blame if it is wrong.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Monroe's book is great!

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had my 289 recently rebuilt and it is a kick in the a-s !!! It performs very well. Make sure you have whoever does it balance the engine (match weight the pistons), balance the rotating assemblies with the harmonic balancer and flexplate/ or flywheel attached. Also worth the money to have the block "decked". Anyone who doesn't know those "terms" doesn't know about "good" rebuilds. I went from a 2V to an Autolite 4100 from Pony Carbs and a '67 cast iron 4V manifold (original) and it runs great. Used a double roller chain, COMP CAM, COMP CAM MAG roller rockers , and repro HIPO manifolds with dual exhaust. Good Luck ! Brad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts