• Start a second build

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 coupe that I restored about 15 years ago. A previous owner had put in a nice 302 and the car was decent machanically.

Now that I have more skill and the funds to do it, I want to revisit the car. Nothing really wrong with it, 8/10 or so, but I would like to get more out of it.

I had been planning to go a bit nuts with the suspension, handling and power. More I look into that the more I realize how far I will have to disassemble the car. At which point the whole thing will be completely revisited.

Which makes me wonder if I would be better off buying a second and starting from the ground up. But then I will have two. Plus a 56 ford pickup, motorcycle... daily driver. And five starts to be a lot and I dont want something to just sit, and the "old" Mustang would probably barely get used once the 2nd was finished.

If I started a second I would still do some upgrades to the 67, but not nearly as extreme. It would allow me to still drive a mustang while restoring one, which is cool, but once it's done...?

So, I know we have a few members here with more than one, so does one collect dust?

Thoughts?
Thanks

(I know, these is this the type of problem you want to have, lol)

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
730 Posts
Definitely a second build I have 2 stock builds in working on and then I plan on doing a restomod (crazy HP motor, nice trans, different rear, some sick breaks and a crazy suspension system)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I once had three vehicles (a DD, a fun car & a truck) plus a motorcycle. When I realized that I barely drove a couple of them I finally asked myself "why?" I'm down to two (DD and '68) but keep thinking about another truck (or a truck as a DD).

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I once had three vehicles (a DD, a fun car & a truck) plus a motorcycle. When I realized that I barely drove a couple of them I finally asked myself "why?" I'm down to two (DD and '68) but keep thinking about another truck (or a truck as a DD).
To me it’s gets down to time and space.
If you have enough of both go for it.
Build one for crusing and the other for sport.
66 vert/c4 & 65fb 351/toplader works well for me.
And do you ever really finish a completely finish a car?
Always seems to be a tweak or two that you just have to make from time to tine.
I have been eying a set of Kasse p38 heads for a few years .....
imho Buy a bag of dust rags and have some fun!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Ive currently got 2 Mustangs, F150, Accord. My wife keeps telling me that she expects to pull up in the driveway and see a new car or two because I usually have 6 or 7 instead of 4. Thats after we sold the Harley and the Indian.

Pick your poison, you cant take it with you.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I’m at 9...and still working on most. Some are lawn ornaments. That’s not counting the pickups, motorcycles, boat or jet skis. I’ve spent the last month adding another 1200 sqf of shop space. I will have nearly a 40x60 shop when done. More square footage than my house!

Reactions: 66_72stanger

·
Registered
924 Posts
I’m at 9...and still working on most. Some are lawn ornaments. That’s not counting the pickups, motorcycles, boat or jet skis. I’ve spent the last month adding another 1200 sqf of shop space. I will have nearly a 40x60 shop when done. More square footage than my house!
Everything is bigger in Texas. No one could afford such a thing in the People's Republic of Maryland (nor would the environmentally conscious bureaucrats approve it).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently leaning at a second build.

The coupe would get some suspension and brake upgrades, but nothing crazy.

Then I would get a fastback and go a bit nuts with it. I like the coupes a lot but no point in two of the same thing.

Looking at things now I'm going to need to figure how much i want to pay for already done and how much i want to do. A dynacorn body looks nice but I need to research that more, plus it feels like a kit car verse saving something. And I'm willing to bet all the little parts you dont stop to think about would be very expensive in the end.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
first thing you need to do is sit down and plan out what you want to do. what do you want from this car? are you going to use this car regularly either as a daily driver or a back up driver, or will this be a weekend cruiser/warrior?

so once oyu have made a plan for this build, start by breaking it down into manageable chunks. for instance once you have all the parts you are going to use, the front suspension can be rebuilt in a weekend or perhaps two depending on your level of skill and energy. depending on what you want for the rear suspension that can take two weekends as well.

if you want to build a motor for this car, then i suggest you find a core, and build that to what you want, or order up a custom crate motor, so you can continue to drive the car while you build the motor, so when the motor is done you can spend teh weekend pulling the old one and installing the new one.

before you know it you will have a completely rebuilt car the way you want it built, and you will have driven it each time to sort out the bugs as you go along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts