Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the top cylinders for my power top rebuilt? So far all I've seen is new cylinders for sale. Doesn't appear to be much wrong with the cylinders other than leaks at the rams. Hate to buy new ones if I can fix the old ones.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I followed this procedure to repair the lift cylinders on my 1966 convertible. Look at the cylinder. Note that the cylinder housing is aluminum; very malleable metal to work with. Near the pivot housing (contains rod shaft seal) and adjacent to this housing the cylinder case is necked down or crimped. Take a hack saw and start a small cut at the edge of the crimped area within 1/16 inch of crimp. You want to create a small void where you can force a small, flat screw driver blade. Since the metal is aluminum as you force the screw driver under the metal, you will uncrimp it. Work entirely around the cylinder at the housing. Once the crimp is fully open you will be able to separate the aluminum housing from the pivot housing. Then you can replace the seal on the end of the piston ram, the piston rod seal and the housing seal next to and underneath the crimped area. Once all seals are replaced, re-assemble and use a small punch to force the crimp back into its original position. If you do this carefully you should not shorten the length of the aluminum cylinder case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts