Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on rebuilding my 289 out of my 67 coupe and would really appreciate some advice. I am told by the local machine shop that my stock heads are toast, so I am thinking of getting an Edelbrock top end kit with heads, cam, and performer intake with a 600 cfm electric choke carb. So my first question is, is this investment worth it, or should I just get a rebuilt long block and use my existing parts?
My second question is does anyone have a recommendation for headers if I go with the Edelbrock set up? I have power steering, no air and have seen a lot of posts on having to re-route the hoses or get a lowering bracket, which I would like to avoid.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The edelbrock top end setup is a decent set, and its nice that everything comes together. Many tell you you can do better for the price (which is true) but sometimes we dont all need 400 hp.

I use patriot ceramic coated long tubes with my 306, they are great headers for the price and fit with my ps setup without issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. Your engine compartment looks great, if mine ends up looking half as good, I will be happy.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have Edelbrock top end on my car and think its a great setup. As for headers, it depends on what you want. I have JBA mid length headers on mine and really like them.

I don't care for long tubes on street cars much. They generally hang low and can get damaged on speed bumps etc. They also make changing the starter a real pain. The way I see it is that long tubes are better for cars that go to the strip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts