Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 65 coupe with a 200 in it for a few years and she hasn't let me down yet, but I'd like to get her rebuilt to keep her strong. These days it's hard to know where to go for good service, I've seen several online companies that offer complete rebuilds at fairly decent prices. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with any of them, or if there's anything I should know before crating away my motor to anyone. Thanks for any help.
John

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
should you do it yourself you might want to look at Clifford Performance for improvements. also go to FORDSIX.com for 6-cyl forum.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what symptoms spur you to rebuild the engine? I overhauled mine when I bought it (now, it had soooom symptoms) in 1978, and it's still going strong. If it's not trashed, you may be able to drive it many years before it gets tired.

I'm not saying you don't need to rebuild it, just don't encourage rebuilding an engine that doesn't need it. The I6 short, or long-block is kind of expensive to buy, too. You may be better off rebuilding your old engine, but only if it's in need. ::

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Please fill out your profile. It helps answer questions and keeps someone from asking: "Where are you located? ::

So, where do you live? ::

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a 170. I got a rebuilt long block from a place called West L.A. Engine. It runs beautiful and no troubles on a 70 mi. round trip commute daily. For this it cost me 1,295 bucks(including Fedex freight shipping from Cali. to Conn.).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the profile, sorry about that, just registered on here yesterday. I live just outside Washington DC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually there's no big symptoms, I guess it seems like it should have a little more get up and go, and you can see a little smoke usually when first started. I've rebuilt the carb, and gave it all the TLC I can. I suppose I may not need to rebuild it. Is there anyway of finding out if it's ever been rebuilt before, or how many miles are on it. I bought it at a dealership which knew nothing about it, and I think I got a good deal.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
There's no way of telling if, or when, it's been rebuilt without taking off the head. If it were rebuilt and bored with oversized pistons installed, the oversize would be stamped on the top of the pistons.

If it has good oil pressure, good compression, no excessive oil burning (leaks don't count), and no bearing noise, I'd run it and be happy. Just remember that there are a lot of things that cause noise in an engine besides bearings, too. If there's a little smoke, I might try pulling the head and having the guides redone before thinking about a rebuild. By the way, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is just a rich mixture. These little I6 engines have an impressive longevity when serviced regularly.

If it doesn't have enough power for you, there are things that can be done to help alleviate that, but it all takes money. A good place to start would be to make sure that the tune-up is to specs with new ignition components: points/condensor (or Pertronix ignition), distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wiring, timing, and a properly operating vacuum advance. If you want a lot more power, you might think of selling the car and buying a V8. It takes a LOT of money to get an I6 to where it will keep up with a stock V8. I like mine just the way it is, but each to his own. Hope this helped some!

·
Registered
759 Posts
As someone already posted check out http://www.fordsix.com/forum before you rebuild your engine. Also forget Clifford check out http://www.fordsixparts.com

I would also suggest not sending your motor out to be rebuilt. Check locally first. You must have some local machine shops that could do it. Look in a phone book and start calling around and check prices. Also, check with your local Mustang club. Go to a meeting and ask for a referral.

If you got any specific questions just PM me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts