Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 289. The engine is very noisy. I took it to a mechanic and was told that it was some of the engine seals that was causing the noise. I am already thinking of getting a new cam heads manifold and carb so Im going for getting my block rebuilt. What should I expect to pay a shop to rebuild my engine. I want to know because I just might end up buying a new short block.

·
6,855 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what you might have to pay. I suppose it would vary greatly with what all was wrong with your engine. Seals making noises? I guess I've heard that at the zoo. Sorta an "arf arf" thing.

Seals making noises in an engine? I don't know. Maybe someone else has insight...but I guess what I wanted to post was that you'll need to have your heads reworked no matter what else you do. Taking some high milage heads, which may or may not have problems with valves, seals, springs, rockers, etc....right over to a new short block...probably won't give you the results you're looking for. In fact, you might find you have exactly the same noises as before.

Exhaust manifold seal? Now that'd do it! Ask your mechanic again and post back.

Good Luck!

Phil

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If it were me having a 289 needing an overhaul, I'd just buy a rebuilt 351W from a reputable place (and the intake and distributor it needs).......tons more natural torque and fits well

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Given what you want to do, I would go with a Ford Racing crate motor. They have that nice 345 horse 302 for $3,400. You will still have to by an intake and carb, but you will have some respectable heads and a roller cam.

I think I spent $1,500+ on my parts and machining for my shortblock and assembled it myself. When all was said and done, I could have had a brand new motor with more ponies.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I was told that a basic rebuild and balance with minimal machine work would run about $1800 to $2000 for a good inhouse type shop to do it. Headwork, cams etc. would add from there..... That should give you a ballpark anyway

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I also agree with Chris.... though you may not need 345 hp. you can also get I believe a 275 hp / 302 basic crate motor for about $2800 .... so if your motor requires excessive headwork etc etc.....you can get to $2500/3000 real quick.... the crate motors not a bad way to go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts