Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting back together a 65 289, when I put the cam timing gear on and tighten the fuel pump eccentric bolt the cam seizes up...it is like the gear is not the right one, But its for a 289?...bad news is I threw out the old stuff so I have nothing to compare to...everything is new - cam - timing chain and gears but something is wrong...Any ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The eccentric bolt is not too long, it is almost like the sprocket is too thick..when the bolt is tightened it looks like it draws the cam forward and pins it before the sprocket is seated....some more facts..I am using a stock new 302 cam for a '69 302 that I was told was identical to 289's if that matters?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the thrust plate with the thin head screws, I think that there may two styles of timing gear's 63-65 with a spacer behind the gear, and 65 -72 style with spacer part of the gear for 289 and 302's... its possible that when I threw out the old gear there was a spacer attached...I am going back to the auto parts store and try to go thru this again..the store told me there were two types for all years but it related to still being interchangable but High Performace vs standard engine.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Check Tom Monroe's "How to rebuild SBF", there are two kind sprockets. Can't remember exactly, but there is a difference depending whether it is nylon covered or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There were several different combinations used on the 289. Let's see if I can remember how they go....

The early 289's used a thrust plate that required clutch head countersunk screws. The cam gear was 17/32" thick. The 289 Hi-Po used the same thrust plate but the gear was thinner at 13/32". The next version used a thinner thrust plate that was attached with two thin head hex bolts. The rear face of the cam gear was modified to allow clearance for the hex bolts. These all used the 3/8" thick "C" spacer behind the gear. At change L7 (March '65) the 289's and 289 Hi-Po's used the same 13/32" thick gear that had a protrusion in the rear eliminating the need for the "C" spacer.

From your description, it sounds like you've got the early style cam gear that was designed for the clutch head screw style trhust plate. You need the one that clears the hex bolts. If you need anymore help contact me and I can probably help you out. I just went through the same ordeal on my hi-po.

Gerald

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok..thanks for the help...looks like I accidently threw out the cam spacer when I threw out the old timing gear, I have now purchased a gear set with the spacer built in...Live and learn something new everday...Thanks again Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts