Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are about to start the tear down on the front end of the car and our plan is to rebuild the 351w...what parts do you guys/gals recommend we put in? I dont want to do major modifications to it but we want this machine to run like a beast/beauty. lol

all new gaskets etc..

any advice would help!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I wouldn't think us unfriendly but its kinda like asking what kind of girl should I marry.

Too many questions to be answered before anyone can really help.

WHat do you have, how do you want to use it, how deep do you want to go.

You would be better off trying the search option on engine rebuilds, there is a ton of info here. Then Google search on pulling motors Mustang, rebuilding motors etc. I would also spend an evening on Youtube with every combination of search terms you can think of.

Then if you have more specific questions come on back...

Good luck,

M

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Yeah, lots of bases to cover here. If you are just going for a stock type rebuild with no performance improvements there are a few things I can suggest. You can use your stock crank and stock rods. Have the rods shot peened for added strength and replace the stock bolts with ARP rod bolts. For the pistons, even if it is a stock rebuild, I'd stay away from cast pistons. A good set of hypereutectic pistons would be a better choice. Speed Pro makes a good set of hyper pistons. Flat top pistons with 4-valve reliefs should get your compression in the proper neighborhood. I like, and always recommend Clevite bearings throughout the engine. The P-series should work for you. Also, have the rotating assembly balanced. This will increase the longevity of the engine and is well worth the added cost. I suggest using ARP bolts throughout the build; they are just that much stronger than stock bolts. If you are buying the parts and not the machinist, have the main and rod bolts available for him so that he can size the main and rod caps. ARP bolts provide more clamping force then stock bolt so it could distort the caps and make sizing and line honing necessary. Other than that, just use quality components and stay away from cheap rebuilder kits and low cost Chinese parts.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Best to work backwards. Define what you are going to do with the car, what are your objectives, what is your budget and then get advice/decide what you want to do.

I like the "what girl should I marry" analogy. A motor can be mild or wicked depending on what you like, similar to looking for a wife :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't think us unfriendly but its kinda like asking what kind of girl should I marry.

Too many questions to be answered before anyone can really help.

WHat do you have, how do you want to use it, how deep do you want to go.

You would be better off trying the search option on engine rebuilds, there is a ton of info here. Then Google search on pulling motors Mustang, rebuilding motors etc. I would also spend an evening on Youtube with every combination of search terms you can think of.

Then if you have more specific questions come on back...

Good luck,

M
I agree man, I kinda just wanted to show you guys my girl and if she needed some lipo, botox, or a new set of....you know what I mean lol

appreciate the advice!

Yeah, lots of bases to cover here. If you are just going for a stock type rebuild with no performance improvements there are a few things I can suggest. You can use your stock crank and stock rods. Have the rods shot peened for added strength and replace the stock bolts with ARP rod bolts. For the pistons, even if it is a stock rebuild, I'd stay away from cast pistons. A good set of hypereutectic pistons would be a better choice. Speed Pro makes a good set of hyper pistons. Flat top pistons with 4-valve reliefs should get your compression in the proper neighborhood. I like, and always recommend Clevite bearings throughout the engine. The P-series should work for you. Also, have the rotating assembly balanced. This will increase the longevity of the engine and is well worth the added cost. I suggest using ARP bolts throughout the build; they are just that much stronger than stock bolts. If you are buying the parts and not the machinist, have the main and rod bolts available for him so that he can size the main and rod caps. ARP bolts provide more clamping force then stock bolt so it could distort the caps and make sizing and line honing necessary. Other than that, just use quality components and stay away from cheap rebuilder kits and low cost Chinese parts.
Thanks! This is what I needed, just a little push into what I may need to put in. We have used John's Mustangs here in Houston on our past builds but I read on here that some of you guys use NPD, Dallas Mustangs and Mustang Unlimited. How are those places working out for you guys? What is a good place to get these internals for the 351w that you had suggested?

p.s. This is the first time am ever buying internals and disassembling an engine.

Best to work backwards. Define what you are going to do with the car, what are your objectives, what is your budget and then get advice/decide what you want to do.

I like the "what girl should I marry" analogy. A motor can be mild or wicked depending on what you like, similar to looking for a wife :)
budget wise...dont want to spend an excess amount to where we dont have enough to restore the rest of the car. lol

Good analogy.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You can go as far as your wallet will take you....if the car is driveable, you may want to consider keeping it that way, and doing a little at a time, engine one year, body another, paint, etc.

I've done cars both ways (complete teardown, and running rebuilds) the running rebuild is more fun as you can use the car, and not just put dollar after dollar in a car not running....something to think about...
Have fun!!
Tom

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think you would be better off comming up with a budget first , how much for the engine , drive train and how much for the restoration ?
One thing you need to remember , if you build this engine up in horsepower and torque , you need to do some upgrades in the drive trian also.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with mymachone. Budget is the key. Now, if your Donald Trump that one thing, but I will assume that do not have unlimited funds. Do your homework and make sure that you have a good idea of what you THINK your are going to have for a budget. Then add 25%

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can go as far as your wallet will take you....if the car is driveable, you may want to consider keeping it that way, and doing a little at a time, engine one year, body another, paint, etc.

I've done cars both ways (complete teardown, and running rebuilds) the running rebuild is more fun as you can use the car, and not just put dollar after dollar in a car not running....something to think about...
Have fun!!
Tom
yeah that's the bad thing, the car isnt drivable yet. I will post up some more specific pictures. I think we will be doing the yearly thing instead :(

I think you would be better off comming up with a budget first , how much for the engine , drive train and how much for the restoration ?
One thing you need to remember , if you build this engine up in horsepower and torque , you need to do some upgrades in the drive trian also.
I understand that, I've done Heads/Cam and a Torque Converter on my Dodge and am in the process of putting 3.06 gears to handle the hp and torque.

There are lots of rebuild kits out there for the 351W... this is an example of the more expensive offered by summit: Sealed Power MHP176-000 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com. I use summit a lot (not for engine stuff yet... I'm not there yet on my build), but everything I've gotten is great. The only complaint I have about them is everything seems to be on backorder lately.
That sounds like a deal, I wonder if anybody here has used a kit similar to this on a 351w likewise. I will be doing some more research on this...
Thanks man!

I agree with mymachone. Budget is the key. Now, if your Donald Trump that one thing, but I will assume that do not have unlimited funds. Do your homework and make sure that you have a good idea of what you THINK your are going to have for a budget. Then add 25%
Will do so! Thanks for the advice bro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just rebuilt my brothers 351W and I have to ask....

1.What is your budget?
2.What kind of power do you want this engine to make?
3.Will the build impact other parts of the drivetrain?

One of the most important aspects of engine design are CID, the heads, then right behind them is the intake and camshaft.

My brother's mach received ported 185 AFRs, Ported Edelbrock intake, a custom grind mech roller camshaft, Pauter rods, Ross pistons and a light weight crower crankshaft.

The car is amazingly fast....we will be upgrading to the TKO manual trans soon...as the original is about to give way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say about 1,500, unfortunetly we wont have more than that to spend on the engine. I would want to do what you did to your brothers car, but my dad is all about originality.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
for 1500 you could get a rebuild kit, as well as new heads, cam. He won't notice internals as not original

1 - 13 of 13 Posts