Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
So glad you got it rebuilt at home. I've done a C4, a C6 and a GM turbo350. I even built tools to compress the clutch pack springs to make it easier to put in new ones.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
the C4 isnt hard to rebuild, but does require some special tools that you can either make or buy as needed. i do recommend this book as a starting point before rebuilding the trans. you can get it here;

lots of good information in there including installing shift kits, and identifying parts like valve bodies, and changes made over the years.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If your wiling to pay 2000 to get ripped off by the shop, You can find a new tranny for the same or less. The C4 just sucks with no over drive gear. I did the internet work and see that the overdrive automatics built by ford are the AOD and the 4r70W trannys. They both share the same overdrive gear and the C4 has none. So patch it with a repair kit or buy a new tranny that s my next step.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m in the SF Bay Area and had my c4 rebuild I think I was around 900. That was probably 10 years ago. I TOTALLY REGRET it. As others have said the c4 isn’t a very good transmission. I have since done a T-5 conversation by myself in my garage. Best thing I’ve ever done. I got a used t5 off Craigslist for 50 bucks and the rest of the parts from modern driveline. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive. Don’t waste your time or money on the c4 go with the t5 or an AOD. (Unless you’re going for a 100% original restoration)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m in the SF Bay Area and had my c4 rebuild I think I was around 900. That was probably 10 years ago. I TOTALLY REGRET it. As others have said the c4 isn’t a very good transmission. I have since done a T-5 conversation by myself in my garage. Best thing I’ve ever done. I got a used t5 off Craigslist for 50 bucks and the rest of the parts from modern driveline. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive. Don’t waste your time or money on the c4 go with the t5 or an AOD. (Unless you’re going for a 100% original restoration)
I think the days of finding $50 T5's on Craigslist are long gone. When I checked a few months ago, they are no where to be found even at wrecking yards. I was looking at a $5k-$6k quote from Modern Driveline for all the parts I need (including a new T5). That makes rebuilding the C4 a bit more palatable even if all you end up with is 3 speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the days of finding $50 T5's on Craigslist are long gone. When I checked a few months ago, they are no where to be found even at wrecking yards. I was looking at a $5k-$6k quote from Modern Driveline for all the parts I need (including a new T5). That makes rebuilding the C4 a bit more palatable even if all you end up with is 3 speeds.
I agree 6k would make me think the c4 rebuild is worth it from a cost prospective. I would still say take your time and keep looking everyday and a deal will pop up. Be patient and the reward at the end will be well worth it. Also I would just buy what you have to from modern driveline (like the clutch cable) everything else you can find much cheaper. I drove with the c4 for over 10 years. 1 day of driving with the t5 was better then all 10 years combined with the c4.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
while i have a T5 in my parts collection, i will be using a C4 when i get to putting my mustang together. with a proper rebuild and a few proper mods, it will do just fine for what i want. i will also use a C4 when i put my falcon together as well, again a proper rebuild and a few mods will do fine there as well.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
ALC,

I would suggest you drive a well prepped sbf/c4 before you discard the idea of rebuilding yours.
With just a few mods, kolene clutches, shift kit & servo, they can be very ”fun” to drive. I am in SoCal as well. Our 66 is setup that way currently. You are welcome to stop by and try it out if you are on the fence. Feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
ALC,

I would suggest you drive a well prepped sbf/c4 before you discard the idea of rebuilding yours.
With just a few mods, kolene clutches, shift kit & servo, they can be very ”fun” to drive. I am in SoCal as well. Our 66 is setup that way currently. You are welcome to stop by and try it out if you are on the fence. Feel free to pm me.
Did you do the work on your C4 or have it done? I've been procrastinating for a couple years but really need to fix mine.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I rebuilt mine. First auto trans r&r for me. C4 is a rather simple piece.
I did contact a shop first to arrange to be able to bring it in to them in pieces if I got stuck as an insurance policy but that was not needed.
As long as your thrust washers are all with the required talerance, they are not included in the r3build kit, it’s a Saturday job start to finish.
Just be sure to number each thrust washer while disassembling trans. Some look very similar.
this will save you time trying to indenting which one goes next. When installing The internals.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Three things that make rebuilding a C-4 easier

1 - a hole on your workbench
2 - GOOD quality snap ring pliers
3 - TransGel / Assemblee goo

I rebuilt my first C-4 in the kitchen of my apartment at college....

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is the greatest thread!

Amazing how some things just arrive at the correct time...... I have a leaker that needs attention.

I love doing my own work, but have always been intimated by transmissions. I’ve always viewed trans techs as “genius”.

With a number of items on my car that need some love, I’m not in a position to purchase a replacement trans or have a “genius” rebuild it.

The resources shared in this thread look super and there are some good tips and suggestions.

(y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
This is the greatest thread!

Amazing how some things just arrive at the correct time...... I have a leaker that needs attention.

I love doing my own work, but have always been intimated by transmissions. I’ve always viewed trans techs as “genius”.

With a number of items on my car that need some love, I’m not in a position to purchase a replacement trans or have a “genius” rebuild it.

The resources shared in this thread look super and there are some good tips and suggestions.

(y)
Good luck! If I can do it so can you. It was easier than I thought it would be. I think it’s probably one of the simplest auto trans ever made. Make sure to buy the Bad Shoe video ;) and post on this thread with any questions

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I rebuilt my FMX using Ken's video. I had to ask him questions from time to time on his facebook page and got prompt responses from him and/or others on the page. I did not purchase a "kit", instead purchasing needed parts and some extra frictions to put my clutch packs into proper tolerance. Recently, he has been making some of the special tools required for some of the tasks. I also sent one of my original but now obsolete bands out to have it re-lined and have been very happy with that as well.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts