Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC12111.JPG

I blew my return line, ran the pump out of oil. Now that I've got the line repaired and the pump filled with high dollar-synthetic-fixes all leaks-stops all squeaks power steering fluid, it's making noise. It makes a little noise all the time, and an unacceptable amount of noise under load. I can't feel anything different in the steering. I checked the belt, it is tight.

So, I understand from responses to my previous post that this type of "big tube pump for a/c equipped cars" (mine doesn't have a/c btw) is hard to find. I'm NOT concerned about originallity, but I have to have a pump that will fit my bracket (I guess???) So I guess I need to rebuild this one or have someone rebuild it.

I understand that the kits have the seals (it aint leaking anyway) but not the internals and that won't fix the squeel? If so, how could I go about rebuilding it? If I can't do it (and FYI after owning this car for 5 years...that list is getting pretty short/forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) who else could rebuild it?

BTW...Am I on the wrong track here? Could I get a later pump off a 5.0 and use it? I guess the pulley would be a huge bug-a-boo, wouldn't it.

Anyone? Anyone?

TIA!

Phil

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The reservior and pulley are unique to a 66 with air, the pump itself (minus reservior and pulley) are very common, used up until 1971, IIRC.

Reservior removes/installs easily, take the nut off the back of the pressure port, the reservior will slide right off. A large "O" ring seals the can to the pump.

Removing the pulley requires a puller. Borrow one from the"zone" or visit Harbor Freight.

·
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Art,

Where can I get the parts I need for it? On my previous post Stanger53 suggested I would probably need a "cam kit" for it and further indicated the standard rebuild kit doesn't come with that.

Phil

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Why don't you purchase a rebuilt or new pump from Kragen, NAPA or other stores? They won't come with a case, just re-use yours. Additional value is that those parts store rebuilts come with long term warranties...

·
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds cool, but what do I need to buy and where? I can't seem to tell on napaonline.com.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts