Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at my options for a short-term (1-2 yrs, 2000 miles max) solution to a sloppy steering box.

I see that NPD has a "Steering Box Bearing Kit". Together with some seals and gaskets, it looks like this will run under $100.

I've thought of getting the Flaming River box which has good reviews, but in the end I want to work out a solution with a rack and pinion, so it's difficult to spend $500 for a summer or two of driving while I work on other projects.

Does anyone have any success stories along these lines, or should I point my DIY research and effort in other directions?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'd adjust the gears in the steering box with the screw on top, and pop a few bolts and slide the cover aside, then pump it full of grease. I'd see how much that helps, then go from there. There is an adjustment spec and method in the shop manual. $5 is better than $500 :: Stanger53 is a professional Mustang steering-box rebuilder and will re-do yours for about $200 and remachine some of the wear surfaces as well, so that's another alternative. If you want to rebuild it yourself, it looks pretty easy, and it's cheaper than most other alternatives.
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It depends a little on how good the sector gear and the input worm and rack look. Mine were worn and although I put in new bearings and adjusted it, it's still not good. Filling it with as much grease as possible (rather than the 8 oz in the shop manual) made a world of difference though.

I managed to find a good sector shaft and a NOS input shaft, so I will redo mine soon. If yours are worn, I would look for a power steering box. They are the same, but the PS boxes have it much easier than the MS boxes. The power assist pushes and pulls the center section. The only force the steering box gears see comes from the steering wheel, which isn't a lot with PS.

On the other hand, it should't be that hard to sell a 2 year old Flaming River box for a reasonable price, in case you want to swap it for a rack.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've been reading up on Stanger53's website and am strongly considering sending by steering box out to him. I'm all for DIY projects to save cash, but my project has grown and grown to the point where I've got to farm SOMETHING out! His prices are very reasonable for someone with that much background in the area.

I've already got a PS box as I converted the car to manual steering years ago.

·
Registered
118 Posts
have you ever considered steering lock up at high speed from a bearing failure? :horror: i'd rather my brakes fail to be honest.

this is your life we're really talking about. i would not mess around, just get the new box from flaming river. i bought mine new from ebay and saved $100. the flaming river box has performed well so far at open track and autox events. R&P no doubt would be nice, but at $1,000 to $1,700, it's a big decision plus it may not exactly fit depending on your motor/suspension combo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts