Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and new steering linkage kit and new center link for my 67 manual steering mustang. I was just wondering is this something I can install myself or should I have it done by a certified mechanic? If I can do it myself are there any pointers I should know before I do it? One other thing, do I need a wheel alignment after I am done?

Stang6767
Bryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It depends on how handy you are with working with these classics as to wheither you want to tackle it yourself. Its really not that difficult. Its adviseable to swap out the tie rod ends and idler arm while your at it, to get a nice snug steering set up. Its also a good time to inspect your upper and lower control arms and ball joints to make sure they are OK. If not, you will need assistance, as special tools are required to take the springs out to replace upper and lower control arms, and its dangerous work unless you've doine them before, and know what to expect and how to handle the tools. Special precautions are needed to do ball joints as well, but they can be done at home if you have a compressor and chisel gun, so you may need the sassistance of an experinced buddy. If the control arms and ball joints are OK have at it. Make sure you buy quality replacements with the grease fitting, or you'll be doing this again in a few years. These parts, and the steering linkage and center link are easy to install yourself. The hardest part is "Breaking" the old ball joints loose. You can buy a ball joint fork cheap enough. The rest is very easy. Just remove the cotters and nuts, pop any ball joints loose, and remove. For the tie rod ends you will need to loosen the collar nuts and remove the adjustment collar. If these are stubborn with rust, soak them with WD-40. You will need this for reinstallation, so clean it nicely and give it a nice WD-40 bath. Make sure you note what went where as when installing the new parts into those collars, you want to try to get the tie rod ends screwed in about the same amount, and the same for the rod on the inner side. This will get you back to approximately where you were alignment wise so you can drive the car to a shop for an alignment. YES, you must get the car aligned after doing any front end work, especially this type of work, and upper and/or lower control arms and springs etc. After you have everything back in place, torque up your nuts and insert new cotters. Give each grease fitting a few pumps of fresh grease and head off to the alignment shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts