Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
289 2 barrel rebuilt carb. I have to hold the gas peddle all the way to the floor to get it to start. Will not idle really well

I’ve tried adjusting the float, adjusting the idle screw, choke, same results.
I am new at this so be gentle.

new starter, new plugs. Runs amazing on the road justnot in the lowgear or idling.

·
Premium Member
6,326 Posts
Welcom to VMF !! Your choke needs to be set correctly, your static and dynamic timing need to be correct, IF still an Autolite 2100...On a warm engine, The throttle blades should just be closed at idle, start with both idle mixture screws turned all the way in GENTLY til they stop then back out 1 and 1/2 turns to begin with (screw slots may not necessarily be equal), you may have a bad power valve or simply a vacuum leak, and a dozen little things in combination if checking those doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
289 2 barrel rebuilt carb. I have to hold the gas peddle all the way to the floor to get it to start. Will not idle really well

I’ve tried adjusting the float, adjusting the idle screw, choke, same results.
I am new at this so be gentle.

new starter, new plugs. Runs amazing on the road justnot in the lowgear or idling.
Is this for a cold or warm start? Or both? When running, is the rough idle during both cold and warm? Do you have an automatic or manual? There are a lot of possible issues related what you are speaking about including, vacuum leaks, timing, and possibly a carburetor rebuild may be in order. I spent the prior weekend rebuilding the 2100 2 barrel carb on my 66 coupe. I discovered that the umbrella valve on the pump was bad which was causing fuel starvation during initial throttle from idle. Otherwise, the car ran great and idled smooth. However, once I removed the air horn assembly, I was surprised the car even ran with all the grunge inside coating the jets. I deep soaked, cleaned, used a new rebuild kit, and the carb performs like new now.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The pics above are indicative of how a lot of carbs look inside if they have been running and then left to sit for years. If you're lucky when you use one before checking inside, it will work just fine. However, if you're not so lucky, the crud inside will get sucked into the ports. Then you might get away with a DIY rebuild or, worst case scenario, have to send it out for commercial rebuild. Over the counter cleaning materials may not get the crud out of the ports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts