Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebuilt engine and a new oil pump and I can't get any oil pressure. I have turned the engine over w/o plugs and I have used a drill and turned the oil pump shaft cc and I have no pressure and no compression. I think the 2 are related. Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I have a rebuilt engine and a new oil pump and I can't get any oil pressure. I have turned the engine over w/o plugs and I have used a drill and turned the oil pump shaft cc and I have no pressure and no compression. I think the 2 are related. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Excuse me, but, you state "I have turned the engine over w/o plugs".... "and no compression"
"W/O plugs", could this be the reason for "no compression". I don't mean to sound offensive, but...?
As far as OP goes, can we assume you've checked that you have, in fact, engaged the oil pump shaft and have spun it for pretty good period and have observed no oil being visible at the rockers. If not, it's possible whomever, did the rebuild did not, first, prime the oil pump
by packing the impellers with Vaseline type product.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. I meant that I had all the plugs out and turned the engine over to get the oil pump working. When I checked the compression I had all the plugs in except for #1 and I could not feel any air coming of the #1 plug hole. I thought that since I had no oil pressure that was the reason I had no compression. I then took the dizzy out and uses a drill to turn the oil pump shaft. There seems to be resistance with the oil pump shaft so I think it is seated in the pump. I did not do the rebuild but I did install the pump and shaft. I did not pack the pump with vaseline but I did pour oil into the pump as the Haynes manual suggested. I need to be more specific in my posts.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
how long have you be spinning the oil pump shaft with the drill. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get it primed. I wouldn't continue to spin the engine untill you see oil to the rockers. Are you using a good heavy drill.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
AFIK having all the plugs out for compression test is AOK. Hard to imagine zero compression unless lifters are collapsed or timing chain is off or the rockers are backed way off or push rods are out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is assembled. I adjusted the rockers using the E/o I/c method. I think that is the right term. #1 cylinder should have been on TDC, I could feel the piston at the top of the stroke. I adjusted the valves dry. You would think this is an easy project but it seems I have wasted a lot of time doing things twice and not surte if I am doing them right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep I was turning the shaft counter clockwise. Looks like I may have to spin the shaft again. Longer this time. I will take off a valve cover so I can see when the oil hits the heads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
as for the oil pressure, is it a wet line or electrical sending unit. I use the wet line and when using a drill, it doesn't take long at all. As far as compression, if the piston is moving and the valves and timing are correct, you will get that push out of the spark plug hole that you expect

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You can't adjust lifters untill they're pumped up with oil. If you don't have hydraulic pressure on the lifters the valves are not going to open and close to create compression. You need to remove valve covers and prime oil pump till you see oil on all rockers. Once this is done then go thru and adjust all valves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if the lifters aren't pumped up, then the valves will not open, if the valves don't open then the compression has only one place to go, out of the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There seems to be resistance with the oil pump shaft so I think it is seated in the pump.Thanks
This part struck me as odd.. seems to be resistance? They usually turn bitchin hard at first. Stupid question but did you use the pump gasket and install a pickup so it's not just sucking air? A minute should be good, but give it another minute or two.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will spin the pump again tomorrow. I didn't realize the lifters had to be full of oil for the valves to work. Thinking through it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
583 Posts
yea i had the same problem with my new rebuilt 289 but i started it anyway with gauge on it and whithin 2 seconds of it starting oil pressure was up to 60 psi.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You should be able to get lots of oil pressure spinning it with a drill. I got about 40 psi. If your gauge is not registering then I would double check that it works (ground the lead to the motor - it should max out). If it does then you have a problem.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I will spin the pump again tomorrow. I didn't realize the lifters had to be full of oil for the valves to work. Thinking through it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies.
Bud,
Those lifters should have been "primed" before installation.
Good Luck with it all!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts