Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the 1/4 qt. of oil (40 weight) loss every 300 miles or so on my motor with only 1600 or so miles on it since the complete rebuild be the cause of oil rings?? And if so how do i narrow this down other than having to tear into the motor?? Also, is there a good way as to identifying which cylinder it may be???

thanks again..

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Did you check your PCV valve? A bad PCV will cause oil consumption. A carb running too rich will also do it. Just a few things to check. Jason

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Could be worn valve guides letting the oil leak down into the cylinders. Those little umbrella seals will fix this and you can do it in your driveway! Seals are about $13 and rent a valve spring removal tool and get one of those little screw-in do-dads that takes the place of the spark plug to hold air pressure from your compressor to keep the valves up when you remove the springs/keepers to put the seals on. The guides get some wear on them and the tolerences are too loose and lets too much oil slide on down the intake valves in particular. This is compounded when using a high volume oil pump where lots more oil is pumped into the top end when reving the engine. ::

·
Registered
776 Posts
What kind of oil have you been putting in the car?
If you started out with synthetic, that may be the problem.
If that is the case, change your oil. I start out with Castrol GTX, and after 1500 miles switch to synthetic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts