Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a rebuilt C4 transmission that has been sitting uninstalled since 2004. It was filled with fluid. Could the long period of inactivity cause any problems with this tranny? I plan to drain it and refill it before I install it for use. Is there anything else I should do to make sure it works good? Should I drop the VB and give it a looksy before I install it?

Also while I have your attention I have one other question. This C4 is a pan fill 1970 C4 with an H servo and a 164 tooth bellhousing. I have the 164 tooth flexplate, blockplate, and corresponding starter to install with it. My car currently has the 157 tooth bellhousing. Is there any other thing I need to consider when installing the new tranny with the larger bellhousing into my Mustang? I assume I will need a new pan fill style dipstick...

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
There is always a possibility that a seal might have "dried out", but that would be a worst case scenario.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am not even sure I would replace the fluid if it was stored in a manner that kept moisture out-after all it is transmission fluid, not beer-there is no expiration date on the bottles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not even sure I would replace the fluid if it was stored in a manner that kept moisture out-after all it is transmission fluid, not beer-there is no expiration date on the bottles.
Well about half of it spilled out on my garage floor so I figure I might as well start fresh.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I've taken many off the dry storage shelf and installed them in a vehicle years after storing them and never had any issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts