Vintage Mustang Forums banner

rebuilt engine cranking problems

581 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  deathman68 
#1 ·
i spent the better part of yesterday running the wires for my engine/battery.

here is the problem: the engine turns freely, sounds almost like it is about to kick over, then fuel bubbles up from the carb and it won't start. i did get it to turn over only once for about three seconds before it died.

here is what i have done: i have relocated the battery to the trunk and run two wires to the front to achieve a good ground as well as hot connection. i have bypassed the neutral safety switch and double checked all of my wiring according to the schematics diagram. i am getting good spark from the coil, and the electric choke on the carb appears to be working. i have checked the firing order to make sure that it is right as well as double checked the distributor to make sure that i am not 180 degrees out.

the details: the car has a freshly rebuilt 351W backed by a tremec tko transmission. i have a stock single advance distributor with pertronix ignitor ignition. i am also using a flame thrower coil. sitting atop the engine is an edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb (electric choke).

hopefully, my only problem will turn out to be something with the carb, but i'm sure that you guys will point me in the right direction. thanks in advance.

Deathman68

See less See more
#2 ·
is the carb new?

did you hook it up right? Ive seen folks hook the fuel line to the large vacuum port at the bottom of the front of the carb...it'll pour fuel down the intake and contaminate the heck out of the oil!!

fuel "bubbling" out? like all over the carb and puddling in the dimples of the intake? if so, it's carb or it's hookup

#3 ·
The carb is a brand new unit. As for hookup, I have followed the manufacturer's instructions...I have connected the pcv to the front of the carb and the fuel line is connected to it's proper location on the side of the carb. The fuel does pour out everywhere when I try to start it.

Deathman68

#4 ·
I may have found the problem, but I am not sure as to the best solution. I removed the dipstick to see if the oil was even reading, and I smelled gas. I then backed off the oil pan drain plug to see if oil would come out...instead, I got a handful of gas mixed with a little bit of oil. The only thing I can think of is that the rings are faulty and that I need to take the engine out and tear it apart again. I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction and provide a simpler method for determining the problem. Please help!!!

Deathman68

#5 ·
It sounds like you have a float stuck wide open. This will flood the motor. When you flood a motor like that you will get gas in the oil. It won't matter if the rings are good or bad. I would look into the carb settings before I would tear down the motor. You already stated that gas is coming out of the carb in a way it shouldn't. That is a sign of a carb problem.

#7 ·
I have triple checked the wiring on the pertronix. Everything is wired accordingly. I just took the top of the carb off and checked the floats. I adjusted them accordingly (7/16" inverted, 1" hanging). I then screwed the top back on and tried cranking the car. Now it kicks over for a second, but as soon as I take my finger off of the ignition switch (in the starter position of course) it dies. Any ideas?

Deathman68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.