Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I live in Iowa City, IA, and just returned from a cross country trip in our restomod '66 Sprint 200 vert to Seattle, WA to see our son-in-law graduate from UW. We cruised at 75mph the whole trip, and flew over most mountain passes in overdrive (T5 tranny). The six-cyl engine was rebuilt with several mods including a warm cam and Pertronix ignition. This was our first foray into mountain country so we were not sure how well it would go especially through high passes like the one outside of Butte, MT or Parleys, UT. What we found going up those steep grades was it was necessary to downshift to 4th gear in order to maintain the speed limit but that was all. Much of the car is still stock such as the cooling system (never came close to overheating), and a 1V carb (consistently 23+ mpg). Aside from a problem in the turn signal switch, we traveled without incident. I thought all the 200 owners would get a kick from this post.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,589 Posts
Awesome! Glad to see more people getting adventurous with their cars :) You should have a chat with Varilux if you haven't already - he's another "just a six" owner who hauled his butt from Texas to NC for the Mustang 50th. He had quite a good time as well, from what I heard.

In my travels I encountered a road that just went from the plains straight up a mountain and down the other side (believe it was somewhere in NM?) There was a sign at the base of the mountain saying "Slow - steep grade ahead. Turn off air conditioning and use low gear." I've never seen a sign like that so that grade must be a car killer. Anyways, I went flying up that mountain and it gave me quite a bit of pleasure to be passing people in my 50-year-old V8, with a stock cooling system, with the A/C on, while others were relegated to limping along as best they could :p

Of course, once I hit the "down" part of that road I was getting all kinds of hell because the old transmission pops out of gear every once in a while when going downhill... :lol:

Glad you had a good time!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Road trips

We've had a number of 6 cyl's on our Pony Drives. 1 in particular has to start at International Falls, so they travel quite a bit just to join us, no matter where we go. The older ones can do quite well- my 64 has over 383,000+ miles that I've done in 26 years and it's going from FL to Indy and then all over New England this Sept. A well maintained older one usually has fewer problems than newer ones and if it does, it's easy to fix!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts