Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recent sales history to predict my future.

If you've sold or bought, or know of recent sales, I'd like
to hear from you.

Most likely in the used market...

Thanks!

Steve O

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have recently bought a used 9" 3rd member with 3.70 gears and a equalock. the asking price was $250.00 from a member of this forum. That is a great price. You can plan on spending $300.00 to $600.00 in the real world.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, did you buy the center section, or an assembly with housing and axles?

Thanks,

Steve O

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Steve 0, you should probably mention what year your car is, the 9 in's for 65-66 are kind of a pain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have 2 1966s, one with an 8 inch, one with a 9 inch.
I may also have a 67-70 9 inch unit available. So I may shop
in the 65-66 market, and sell in the 67-70 market.

Thanks,

Steve O

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I sold a '57 9" housing (narrow enough to fit the '65-'66 cars) for $100 recently.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, Stevo i am in the market to buy a 67-70 9 inch housing, i'll send you a pm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I checked superior axles and they have axle kits ($220 for a 31 spline) i bought a ring and pinion from craigs list for $50, Have a Detroit locker I bought for $150 and plan to "help" a mechanic friend rebuild mine

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I just bought a 9in with 3:73 gears posi-trac drum to drum pulled from a running Mach 1 for $375. Said to have an older re-build. I am not sure if I will keep the internal set-up, but wanted to get a 9in for the future to replace the 8in when I beef up the motor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the reply, did you buy the center section, or an assembly with housing and axles?

Thanks,

Steve O
It was just the 3rd member(center section).

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I bought a 69 8" rear end with a practically new SSBC disc brake kit on it for $100. I pulled the kit and sold the rear end for $75. This was a one-off Craigslist deal, and would be hard to duplicate. There are deals out there.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I sold a narrowed 9" (correct width for 65/66) with a separate center section 3:00, with axles, brakes, in unknown condition (got it as a spare part with the car) for $650. I knew I asked too little when there was a race to my garage and a few guys throwing cash at me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Perfect timing on this thread!

I just found a 9 inch in a scrap metal pile that my father in law was going to haul off. He cut the axle tubes off of it but I kept the carrier and plan to sell it. It's a 3.25 gear. I don't really know what it's worth.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Perfect timing on this thread!

I just found a 9 inch in a scrap metal pile that my father in law was going to haul off. He cut the axle tubes off of it but I kept the carrier and plan to sell it. It's a 3.25 gear. I don't really know what it's worth.

If it's a standard 9" carrier with an open differential, it's not worth much. They're a dime a dozen. You can go to your local wrecking yard and get them all day and all night out of F150 pickups, vans, and older Broncos among other vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts