Vintage Mustang Forums banner

rechromed bumpers question

1253 7
My bumpers are rechromed and look perfect, but if you look under the bumper you will see hammer marks. These are little impressions to straight the bumper. How does judging view these repaired bumpers?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
19,382 Posts
I've never looked closely at the underside of the bumpers when judging concours. I doubt if many judges do. The only reason to check is if there seems to be a rust or damage problem on the exterior. If it looks good on the outside, that's fine.

G

·
If it's noticeable looking from underneath, expect or prepare to have about 1 point deducted. You might be able to smooth it over and spray it with argent paint for a less noticeable look.

If I saw the marks, I'd deduct for condition.

· Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I had several bumpers and some of them rather nice. My plater said bring in the worst. He said if they dont match up to your approval you dont have to take them. I took note of the imperfections and to my surprise they came out perfect. None of those waves like water in the pool.

Papago Plating , Phoenix

They are on the car.

· Registered
8,058 Posts
I too would deduct points since those marks would not be on a new car.

Remember that the fronts are dated also... if your interested in that sort of thing

· Registered
8,058 Posts
The reason to finish a car does not always have to be fueled with "how many points will it cost me" IMHO

Some just want the car correct as possible. I know I always suggest that people build their cars not to the rules but better than the rules for a number of reasons.

In other cases not all shows use MCA rules word for word.

Deducted allot of points through the years at non-MCA shows for things that MCA would let slide. West Coast typically in the past had no Thoroughbred and Concours included date codes and the like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.