Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my FE Powered by Ford valve covers rechromed last year. I spent about $250 on them. The Tony Branda repros are so nice I also bought a set of them and decided to use them. I have a paranoia that media from the blasting could be hidden in the baffles and will cause engine damage. I know I am paranoid.

But to my question... How long can I store rechromed valve covers before the chrome starts to go? I am not sure if tarnish is the word I am looking for but will they fade over time? Will the chrome deteriorate?

I don't need the money but should I just sell them? Although not original to my car the date codes are correct.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
Your inquiry got me to check the spare originals I had show chromed in 1999. They are wrapped with foam sheeting then with SaranWrap. They are kept on a shelf in a closet in the house .
THEY STILL LOOK GREAT !
Can't say I have ever seen a date code on `66/67 FE valve covers.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
390GTAcv said:
Can't say I have ever seen a date code on `66/67 FE valve covers.

That is new to me thanks for pointing these out. I thought Valve covers got sheet metal date codes. These are stamped August but no year, so I don't know for sure but I do not think they are 66/67 I think they might be 70?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I've whacked a heavy coat of wax/polish on chrome and wrapped in cloth and boxed it for years.... wipe and re wax every once in a while and they stay looking great... I have some bits that have been boxed for a decade... still look new.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jess the valve covers I have are stamped 6 15 D which I understand to be June 15 and made at the Dearborn Sheet Metal plant. The year could be any year. This is based on information I was given a while back on the FordFe forum.

Are you saying your originals are not stamped with any dates?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Where is the stamp? I have three sets I "thought" to be originals, none have a stamped number. All are over 10 years old... one set at least 15, service replacements???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts