Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have a wheel rechromed ? I was wondering what the costs were. I know it will be different than in my area, but was wondering about ball park. Also is it better to chrome plate new steel instead of a previously plated part ? Are you better off finding new wheels (if duplicated). Anyone ever have aluminum wheels plated ?

Side note: I finally found some wheels I liked, Crager Forged. I called to see when they would be available and they informed me they weren't going to make them. I guess the add was just for responce, and I didn't count.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
From what I've seen it'll cost you as much, or more, to re-plate a set as it does to buy new ones. Unless you gota have original FORD wheels, go with a reproduced set.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I done some research into re-chroming wheels myself (never did get it done though)

I was told that despite being expensive, the end results were often unpredictable and the chrome tended to buildup in at the edges if it wasnt done perfectly. Apparently, it tends not to last very long too.

I can tell you what I was quoted to have mine rechromed - $50 for wheels not too far gone, max. $75 for very badly rusted ones. (this was Ireland, but i suspect roughly the same for USA)

But just to clarify, this is what i have been told and not from personal experience.

Gary

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Typically around $100 each. A good chrome shop will do nice work...better than OEM. If ya need a list of chrome shops in Ca that I have used, send me a PM and i'll give ya my list of places I have used with excellent results.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
JT classic autochrome in San Martin, CA (just north of Gilroy )
has done some excellent work for all hot rodders on the west coast..... he is a bit pricey but the results are astounding....

he likes to get the used part, straighten dings and such, strip the previous coatings......and metal treat.....then he hand polishes the metal and double dips it in copper.....then comes the triple nickel
plating and a polish job, then comes the chrome dip.

It looks so nice that it has a slight bluish tint to it.

I can get the info if you want.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I lived in California !!! The car stuff would be so easy. No rust, parts everywhere and every new cool gismo being made right around the corner. Unfortunately I live in the rust capital. Where a car is junked and crushed after it falls apart from rust five or six years after being made. I guess the newer cars are better. I’m just jealous, I am , I am. My brother lives in San Jose, but can't help with the car stuff. Thanks for the help on the CHROME PLATING.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts