Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to install new valve seals on a 289. Don't want to pull the heads so have the air hose and seals on order. What I don't find is a good spring tool that will work with the heads still on the block. Looking for a recommendation on one that won't break the bank and still works. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I actually can't find a pic of mine, easy peasy prybar that takes the place of the rocker arm, and prys straight down on the retainer, very fast.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,933 Posts

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
There are a number of homemade VS compressors on YouTube.

·
Administrator
19,775 Posts
I've used the kind Redneck posted a picture of above for years and years. Not really the best nor the quickest but it's the first one I grab in situations like yours. I've actually worn out one of these tools and had to buy a replacement. I like that it holds the spring once it's cranked down. The lever types are easy and quick if everything goes exactly as it's supposed to but if a keeper sticks or something you about need a third hand. Likewise if you have trouble fiddling the keepers back in upon reassembly. I have some other tools for this that I've bought to try. Other than the big C-clamp one I use when heads are off, they're dusty and even a little rusty. A totally different story on OHC engines but that's irrelevant here.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I bought one at HF, its similar to the AZ one.

I couldnt get it to work, the jaws kept slipping off.

I put a hose clamp around it before I started compressing the spring, to prevent the jaws from slipping out.

Works like a champ, but isnt quick.

·
Administrator
19,775 Posts
Isn't there one where you stuff a nylon rope in through the spark plug hole to hold the valve up whilst replacing seals/keepers?
That's one way to keep the valve from falling into the cylinder when you take the keepers off but we still need to compress the valve spring before we can get at those keepers. That's what the one-trick-pony tools under discussion here do.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
X4 on the crappy one from autozone and harbor freight..
Not worth 2 cents.

I’d try that pry one linked from summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I use the one that screws on the stud. It has always worked and I run dual springs with a damper so I need the leverage.

If the heads are off, I do have the other one too.

·
Registered
684 Posts

It doesn't get much easier than using these 2 if they are in good shape. Can even get away with using the top one with or without the heads being installed bit it really shines in the engine compartment if you are using anything but stock springs (it can do those too but just pointing out that the top one is well suited for aftermarket multispring packs.)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I am so jealous of that fancy lever action compressor tool. Unfortunately they don't work on six cylinders since they need the rocker arm stud to hook onto. :(

I welded a nut on to the top of the cheap compressor so I can turn it with a ratchet. Makes it turn easier and the cheap wheel at the top doesn't cut up my hand.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I spent the extra $40 and went with the lever one noted above

the clamp ones that you have to turn take forever. and its not easy esp on a Cleveland where hand room is scarce.
i did one seal and gave up and ordered the summit lever one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts