Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys make some recommendations on the following:
A decent duel plane intake and a nice 2 or 4 barrel carb to go on my 289 v2 ( 200hp from factory) after the rebuild. If you know of some decent heads that will not break the bank account, post it too so I can look around and see what kinda prices i can dig up. I was thinking about one of the duel plane intakes that edelbrock has along with an edbroc carb, the heads may have to wait a while and be swapped in later, so take that into consideration when making recommendations.

-There is no limit to what you can do given enough time, money, and patience. Unfortunatly I have run out of all of those.
-A.J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what i did was use the edelbrock performer rpm and the Holley 650 cfm carb...combination works great, though I wish I had gotten the edelbrock because i've heard that it has less problems.

College Station, TX

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I would use a Holley 600 and a Edelbrock dual plane intake. I have had
that set up on several stock motors and it works well. The Edelbrock carb.
is OK also. I just like Holleys, I've been using them for 25 years and I have
good luck with them.

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn4.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~myradpc/_uimages/turn1.JPG

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I also recommend the Holley 600 carb and Edlelbrock performer manifold.
Its a great combo for mild motors. My friend just swapped out a 625 Edlelbrock for a 600 Holley (couldn't pass emmissions) and found A LOT of power in the process. Some food for thought, Vic Edelbrock uses Holleys on his cars :)

AFR and Edelbrock both make great cylinder heads. Sure with I had the cash for a set, those 165 AFRs really have some nice flow numbers. Trickflow also makes a good cylinder head for under $1000.

[color:red]1966</font color=red> [color:blue]V8</font color=blue> [color:red]Coupe</font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/2bav8
5 speed, 4.11s, 10.13 in the quarter mile.
Oh wait, that was a Sammy Haggar song...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I would say ANY aftermarket dual plane intake would work equally well for a street driven car. They all come with the same basic provisions needed for your car and the minor differences in performance are factors only in higher RPM operation. For the manifold, I'd say the selling price would be be determining factor.

With regards to carburators, how often the car is driven can be a consideration. Holleys do not sit well; they are more prone to problems from sitting without use than almost any other carburator. With a stock engine and cam a 600 CFM carb is best matched; a mild cam will increase this to a 650 CFM, both being vacuum secondaries. No need for mechanical secondaries, double (accelerator) pumpers, milled air horns, velocity stacks, etc. Look for a carburator jetted for an engine no larger than 10% over your current engine. Most aftermarket carbs will have these specifications in their application charts. You'll also be asked whether you have an automatic or manual transmission.

Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations, but within these considerations, I think your most economical choice will provide years of satisfactory, reliable service without the hassles of trying to fine tune the induction aspects of your engine.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Great minds think a like story.
My son and I are restoring a 69 Cougar 351W 2v. Went to the swap meet in Pomona yesterday and picked up an E. Preformer and Holley 600 carb. Had a set of Flowtech headers for $60 bucks but passed on them because I heard I should put on Shortys.
Since I'm bolting on a new manifold & carb ,should I address anything else while I'm doing that? I would like to change out the old distributor with a HEI out a bone yard if possible. Possible ? Thanks for any help you can give me. I just sold my 69 El Camino Resto to fund my young sons dream car.

1969 Cougar Restro in progress

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Duraspark distributors (with box) are plentiful and an easy conversion. You can do a search on this and the old forum pages for duraspark, There's been some good advise handed out on them. They are definitely more reliable than the old points distributor.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts