Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what motor mounts you experts would recommend. Polyurethane? Or does it matter? I'm putting a 427W in my car, so I'd need them to hold it, and I'm sure I won't want the stock ones. What's the advantage of polyurethane over non-polyurethane?

·
Registered
9 Posts
this will probably sound stupid at first, poly is not solid and will absorb some vibration unlike a solid metal mount which you need to avoid like the plague with a street car. Why because they transmit way too much vibration into the car and you won't like it.
Now this is where it starts to sound stupid. the mount only has to be strong enough so the your car breaks traction (or something else) before the mount. The highest amount of torque will be on it when you nail it (driver side).
If you were to use chain or cable with a slight slack from the motor to the frame you can save the vibration because the stock mounts will be used most of the time and save some money. racers have used this trick for years. If you don't want a chain or cable the poly mount will work fine but just transmit more vibration.....your call

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Stock with turnbuckles seem to work well, though the turnbuckes are solid and you'll feel more vibration. You'll need more than stock or poly if you rev it because it'll break loose from the torque sooner or later. You big block people might have a better answer?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts