Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of restoring/reconditioning the dash from my 70 Mach 1. The car is a restomod, so not necessarily looking to exactly match what was there, but keep it close with a good look when done. I am looking for opinions form those that have done something similar.

First, the metal dash structure needs to be treated to stop the rust and general clean up. I have Eastwood rust removing gel on the way to tackle the rust. The dash has a textured grain look to it. Some have spoken with have said it is paint, others posts here on VMF from years ago suggest the texture was part of the metal. I have some damage on the right corner of the dash that will require repair as well as rust on the face of the glove box that will loose the texture one way or another. I have been researching paints and found a texture black from SEM, PN 39853. I was thinking about repainting the dash structure and glove box with the SEM 39853 and then apply the SEM 946 black satin (dark charcoal) as a top coat. Anyone done anything like this and liked the results? The texture black is expensive, don't want to end up with a throw away.

The instrument cluster bezel is another challenge. The black needs to be redone as there are a few scratches and wear through areas. Again, looking at using the SEM 15243 or SEM 946 satin black for this area. I do not want to send the plastic bezel out for professional restoration, too pricey. The bezel has chrome applied on the edges of the gauge openings and I need a paint that has a chrome look. Anyone use the Duplicolor CS101 Instant Chrome paint? I have read some bad reviews regarding this paint not hardening, hopefully that user got a bad can. Older posts have suggested a chrome silver paint pen and I was also considering the Testors Chrome Silver I used in my youth on plastic models.

Thanks

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm not a paint person, so I can't answer those questions with any authority. However, the metal dash does have a grain in it. You may be able to duplicate the texture by playing around with some scrap metal and your paints.
As for the instrument cluster, order a set of lenses from NPD. Mine worked perfectly and a definite improvement over the old ones. I did the chrome silver Sharpie paint pen. It turned out ok. I think the paint was a little too thin and you have to do several coats to cover the thin streaks. If I did it again, I would go the Testors route. For the black, I used some old un-obtainable Krylon Semi-gloss Black.

Spliffy

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a paint person, so I can't answer those questions with any authority. However, the metal dash does have a grain in it. You may be able to duplicate the texture by playing around with some scrap metal and your paints.
As for the instrument cluster, order a set of lenses from NPD. Mine worked perfectly and a definite improvement over the old ones. I did the chrome silver Sharpie paint pen. It turned out ok. I think the paint was a little too thin and you have to do several coats to cover the thin streaks. If I did it again, I would go the Testors route. For the black, I used some old un-obtainable Krylon Semi-gloss Black.
Yeah I get it, I was hoping for feedback from someone who had worked on a 69/70 dash recently. I wanted to avoid a science experiment, unfortunately looks like I am going to be the guinea pig.

The SEM products are available through Amazon and I have a Prime account, so no shipping costs. The Amazon prices are lower than NPD or Summit as far as that goes.

Good heads up about the lenses. Everything else will be new, so should the lenses. I will post soon to my build thread. I wrapped the instrument and clock bezels with the 3M brushed steel wrap, love it. I got the idea from a guy on protouring.com. I never liked the woodgrain in the interior, so I am covering with the wrap. Just one more customization to add to all the others.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was starting to put together a Amazon order for the paints when I stumbled on this, a leather look thin wrap. I am going to try this route as it will provide a uniform grain look for the dash and the glove box face. I have already done a wrap for the bezels, why not the dash itself? The only issue I see is in the initial application, going to be a two person job given the length of the dash.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yeah I get it, I was hoping for feedback from someone who had worked on a 69/70 dash recently. I wanted to avoid a science experiment, unfortunately looks like I am going to be the guinea pig.

The SEM products are available through Amazon and I have a Prime account, so no shipping costs. The Amazon prices are lower than NPD or Summit as far as that goes.

Good heads up about the lenses. Everything else will be new, so should the lenses. I will post soon to my build thread. I wrapped the instrument and clock bezels with the 3M brushed steel wrap, love it. I got the idea from a guy on protouring.com. I never liked the woodgrain in the interior, so I am covering with the wrap. Just one more customization to add to all the others.
Alan,

Just an FYI, SEM is now owned by PPG and most local PPG auto paint distributors are great sources for SEM products and (perhaps most importantly) information on their entire lineup. Once yopu find the exact combo you're looking for, Amazon is always a resource if the price just isn't quite right locally.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Just in case, the proper metal dash (and steering column) color is Dark Metallic Charcoal. Make sure your SEM paint has the very fine metallic to it if you want to keep the original look. Yes, the grain is made into the metal dash, not sure how to properly duplicate it. I'd be interested in how your attempt turns out. As my metal dash was rusting on the front and back, I pulled it and sandblasted it using fine sand and low pressure. I had a few bad spots and ended up replacing my glove box door, but otherwise, it turned out nice. For the Silver/Chrome in the instrument cluster, I got a Sliver Leaf Pin from Amazon and used a lot of tape. It's not chrome, but it does look nice when you poke your head in to look at it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David: Thanks for the dash picture, I will kept it for reference. My car was originally a non-AC car. I have the non-AC kit from Vintage Air, but I do not like their center vent as much as the original. Do you know a source of refurbished or repop center vents and AC controls?

I see you have the ignition switch in the dash. This is my plan to remove the lighter and substitute a dash mounted ignition switch. My replacement Ididit column does not have the integral ignition switch.

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
My process was like David's for my '70 Mach 1 dash. I blasted it very carefully so as not to damage the texture in the metal. Then I very carefully cleaned it and painted it with interior paint in a rattle can from NPD. That paint is very nice. Personally, I'd be concerned about the paint from Amazon not being exactly right, but I suppose if the part numbers are the same, it would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts