Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to recrome the plastic instrument cluster trim. The trim seems fine except it has yellowed somewhat. The black face is in good shape.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
The process of re-plating plastic chrome is called "vacuum metallizing". Specialty plating companies can be found using a "google" search. "Chrome" paint is generally a distant second in terms of the outcome. Unless you are a trailered concours competitor, the reproduction bezels may work well for you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have not tried this but Molotow Liquid Chrome markers look interesting. Some people are using the refills for airbrushing. There's some videos on youtube.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Last I looked the process to rechrome plastic parts was quite expensive in small pieces and batches. Its simply more cost effective to replace the bezel.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
There used to be several businesses that specialized in rechroming plastic parts for Mustangs and other classics. As repro parts became cheaper and better the rechroming places slowly went out of business. There are still a few around but they are pretty pricey. Mostly used for high end Concours restorations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I paid ~$450 to have my 64 Falcon dash trim replated and painted (4 pieces). It was done in Canada by CV Vacuum Platers probably 8-10 years ago. Yes, repro is much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I also used CV Vacuum platers to re-plate my 70 dash bevel. It was done more than 15 years ago and still looks great. I can't remember the price but I think it was between $120 and $160.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I had my console insert vacuum metalized. But I can't remember who did it. It is the early 90s. From what I understood, the console insert chrome is real chrome that is electroplated over conductive paint. Before sending the part I needed to strip everything that wasn't plastic off the insert. That was done was by putting the part in a bucket of muriatic acid. Can't remember how long that took, but it took weeks. I was able to repair a broken corner and sand out minor imperfections. The result after vacuum metalizing was excellent. Today you can buy reproductions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts