Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working under the 66 today I noticed that underbody was sprayed with red oxide paint pretty much everywhere. It covers the shocks, fuel lines, brake lines, rubber parts, etc. Just about everything except the drive train. It actually looks like a typical factory job (pretty sloppy). The car was redone in the early 90's so I know this is not original but was it done correctly? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
It definitely should not be on the rubber parts, shock, fuel lines, or brake lines.

G

·
0 Posts
You also have to check the plant where the vehicle was produced. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but my long held belief is that Mustangs made at the Dearborn plant had a black undercarriage.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Dearborn used a "daily mix," which was made by dumping all the leftover paint together. As a result, Dearborn cars, like my coupe, can vary quite a bit on the undercarriage color, but dark gray is typical. Mine actually has a metallic look to it due to, no doubt, a higher percentage of metallic paint in the daily mix. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif However, I still have some red oxide underneath the car, way up in the tunnel and extending down onto the frame rails a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts