Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, whats the hot tip for red oxide primer (prefer epoxy) 69 cj Metchun? Car will be driven, and enjoyed, but would like to be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check out SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Inc), they just brought out a high quality "Red Oxide" epoxy primer that matches the Ford color.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the car has original floors, with red oxide. It was completely undercoated, so the color may have stained a little darker. Don't know how to share a sample, other than a pic. I'll think on that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
PPG's DP-74 is red oxide epoxy as well. Both are good products. No clue how either of them compare to the original red oxide though.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Believe that there was/is a degree of variation in the colors. Ford was not all that fussy to be dead on re bottom colors. Have had a couple of Metuchens that were semi gloss/flat black and also Dearborns. One of those in particular, had a greenish tint which was apparently the color of the day or hour. So... too light or too dark is subjective. opinion. And, if an MCA judge peers under a car and says the red oxide is too dark or too light, bet that it is HIS opinion and maybe not that of the next judge. Again...it IS subjective.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yo anderson...

I have a 66 Metuchen conv't and I was planning on redoing the bottom. My floors were in very good shape as you say yours are.

After a couple hours cleaning, I decided to just get the existing factory primer cleaned up spotless and spray a coat of Clear Polyurethane. That way I can say "survivor...never restored."

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I convinced SPI that the Mustang restorers needed a good red oxide epoxy primer. I checked and it seemed like PPG had a good match so Barry from SPI matched it to the PPG epoxy.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
This is the original paint on this 66 GT350H:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all, for the input. Going to give the SPI primer a try, let you know how it looks. Just for info, this late 69 had no primer at all, forward of the trans. crossmember

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have a 9/68 metuchen convert-been in a garage for 27 yrs, and was original down to the condensor in the distributor. Most undercarriage is black, interior floors were a gray color, and the red primer was under the dash, under the fenders, (completely red oxide with a hint of overspray at the wheel well areas) and under the cowl panel. I found the PPG dp 74 was a really good match. I have heard others say it was too orangey- but it matched mine, and I know the quality I am getting with PPG.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Thanks to all, for the input. Going to give the SPI primer a try, let you know how it looks. Just for info, this late 69 had no primer at all, forward of the trans. crossmember
You will be very happy with the quality of SPI products.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get a quart of Debeer 417 red off the mix rack its almost dead nuts on to rm or dp primer, add 30 percent flatner to the quart it mix per the p sheet and paint. you have the durabillity of a topcoat, epoxy has no long term hold out. and can be done for under 100 bucks. PPG's quality hasn't been their for years its crap ever since the dp went LF its been crap just like their topcoats crap and their color match sucks on the older paints.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Get a quart of Debeer 417 red off the mix rack its almost dead nuts on to rm or dp primer, add 30 percent flatner to the quart it mix per the p sheet and paint. you have the durabillity of a topcoat, epoxy has no long term hold out. and can be done for under 100 bucks. PPG's quality hasn't been their for years its crap ever since the dp went LF its been crap just like their topcoats crap and their color match sucks on the older paints.
This was posted by SPI on another forum

Epoxy with uv protection.

As some of you know from the other threads, I have been playing with the UV protection with our epoxy, even though our epoxy (black) has showed us around 5 years life when exposed to the sun where most epoxies die inside of 3 - 6 months, we are making it better!

The black and black only at this point that we made this week has extra UV protection, we still have around 100 gallons of the old batch but that should be gone by middle of next week and we will ship the new. (Quarts will not have for about two months)

I used 1/2 the amount of UV I wanted to but as we go along I will increase, at this point it should last as long as any mid grade SS paint.

You will notice no difference in spraying or drying or handling the epoxy with this addition as I have tested and retested but reason I cut it in half is just to make sure the epoxy is still bullet proof.

I have no plans to add it to the other colors as they are never exposed as an topside paint but our black epoxy has been used as hood strips on cudas and rat rods so the protection was warranted.

[email protected]
404-307-9740 Tech Line (7 days)
706-781-2220 Office

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Red Oxide Paint

For Red Oxide I have been using the Plasti-kote Super primer T-19 Red Oxide primer (Rattle can) followed by a flattened clear.

My 69 Metuchen survivor with 28k miles had quite a bit of of primer in very good condition in the upper area of the drive shaft tunnel and it was very very close in color to the T-19. When I restored my Metuchen 70 Mach 1, it was also covered with undercoating, however, up around the tranny it was very thin. After removing the undercoating, the red oxide was very close as well(actually slightly darker from being stained). A light wet sanding resulted in almost exactly as my 69.

Hope that helps,
Tony

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts