Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a rotor (or hub for that matter) is redrilled with a different bolt pattern, do the old holes have to be plugged or filled in with something? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it will throw everything out of balance since you are removing more metal from certain places. Or does it matter?

The pictures I have seen of redrilling ones leave the old holes as they are.

http://fomoco.com/forummain/getimage.asp?id=89440

·
Registered
201 Posts
it will not throw the rotors out of balance since the holes are evenly spaced and thus maintain an even balance. you can buy rims that are drilled for mulitiple different bolt patterns too. Welding them up is not a necessity. unless your going from 5 lug to 4 lug and using one of the origional holes then it could be out of balance, but that little metal that close to the center should not cause that much of an imbalance

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I was worried about was sharing the common hole. (The pic. didn't automatically show up on my end. If it didn't on yours, copy and paste the address to see what I'm talking about.) It would be redrilled from a 5 X 4.5 pattern to a 4 X 4.5 pattern. It just looks like since one new bolt will be using the original hole (which means only drilling 3 additional holes) that it would weigh more or have more material than the other side.

Does that make any sense? :: :: It's sort of hard to describe.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i understand what your saying, I am not sure it will make much of a difference in the ballance of your rotor. yes there will be some imbalance because your going from 5 to 4 and sharing 1 hole, but that close to the center shouldnt make much of a difference. If you feel more comfortable then go ahead and weld them up.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I am not sure you can weld on brake rotors. I would make a plug and press fit it into the hole then drill your new holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts