Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of something. When it comes time for me to strip the paint off the air vents behind the doors, what is going to be the best way to go about this? Since they are plastic, will paint stripper melt them or harm them in any way? It's going to be hard to sand these suckers.

Any suggestions welcomed.

1967 coupe with vinyl top. 351W engine with C-4. Work in progress.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm pretty sure they are pot metal just like the hood turn signals. (unless you mean Shelby scoops?) They are held on by retaining nuts from behind the inside quarter trim. You should be able to use a standard chemical stripper.
Yep, I went and checked a spare set and they're pot metal.

Chris

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to check for me, I really appreciate it. After the multiple coats of bad paint from P/Os, it felt like plastic to me!

Thanks again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leibniz

No problem at all. I'm glad to be able to answer a question for once. I'm new at this, too so most of my time is spent asking questions. My first classic was also a '67 with vinyl top. It was Sautern Gold with Black/Black. I had it about 10 years ago. Now I'm working on a '67 Convert. Good luck with yours.

Chris

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,

That's amazing! My 67 is the same color with black interior... maybe I have your car!

I'm going to repaint it black though. I haven't seen any black Mustangs here in Austin and I don't see many people go with that color, but I have always wanted a black on black Mustang.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just bought an extra set to refinish as mine are pitted. I agree they are made out of 'pot' metal. I have heard of others who have successfully replated them. I am going to give it a try. The fiberglas (?) panel has a chipped corner on one of my spares. Don't know if I will try to fix or just use my original panel with the replated grill.

Good luck, I'll post if I am successful with the replating.

Glenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts