Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently finishing the front suspension portion of a total restoration. To date, I have left all the nuts, bolts, washers, etc... unfinished, wanting the natural look. However, as I finish, I am having reservations. Should I paint the fasteners in an effort to stop corrosion? Should I blast them first? Or should I leave them alone? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If i take a bolt off, i like to replace it with stainless. Gives it a long lasting natural look.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
When I did my Boss 302 I spent ALOT of time cleaning, replating and refinishing all the original fasterners.

Just before I finished (took 8 years) AMK came out with there fastner kits. I bought one and instantly realized it was not worth the trouble trying to reuse the originals. The time would have been much better spent on other areas from the car.

My advice is to buy a fastener kit from AMK products.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I love AMK. The guys at the shop that did my body/paint saw the AMK kits for the Stang and hated them... beacuse they do a lot of cars that there are no such goodies for!! They spend heaps of time and money refubishing, replacing, or even fabricating correct fasteners for thier restorations! When my "body" box kit came in they were green with envy....way too easy! ::

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
I toss all my metal (steel and iron) parts into a 5 gallon paint bucket or tray, and a guy chem strips and bright zinc or gold zinc plates them. Costs about $50 for a tote. Motor mounts, spindles, bolts, pullies, lug nuts, bumper arms, everything goes in, and all comes out shiny and clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts