Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fridge caputted yesterday (prob on Tue or Mon). I believe that the compressor motor and/or control board has failed on it. SWMBO has never cared for it and we're now shopping for a new one. Anyone with comments or recommendations please chime in.

Our existing model is this. GE PSI23NGN

We'd like to get a french door / bottom freezer model....

·
Registered
337 Posts
I saved about four hundred bucks by going to the Sears cratch and dent place. It is the Service Center. I got one with a couple of scratches on it. It works great and came with the full warranty.
Kerry

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've bought GE appliances, probably for the last 50 years but the last two refrigerators we bought, we had ice maker problems where the repair guy had to come out several times on each one. Finally when they became out of warranty they said we would have to buy a complete new ice maker for over $300. This time we went with an LG french door model, 25 c.f. that was on sale with Home Depot. It's too soon to tell if the LG brand is any better than any other brand but we like it a lot. Kenmore also has a good reputation for appliances.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trying to purchase a domestically engineered and assembled unit.

My sister-in-law has an LG that's not 3 years old and already has problems with it....

I'm looking at Maytag, Amana, Kitchenaid and Whirlpool presently and can go Kenmore if theirs crosses into one of those brands...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hi Steve, we got a Whirlpool a couple of years ago. French door model with 24.8 cu feet. We bought it from Lowes and 0% financing for a year. The space seems more efficient that a traditional side by side. It will fit a turkey or 1/2 sheet cake. Tall bottles fit in the doors or have to be put sideways on the shelves.

http://www.comparance.com/Refrigerator/Whirlpool/GX5FHDXTQ
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Whirlpool-Whirlpool-24-8-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-w-Icemaker
http://appliances.pricegrabber.com/refrigerators/24-season/p/767/form_keyword=24+-season/

·
Registered
164 Posts
I purchased a Maytag last year and love it. French doors with bottom freezer. The freezer door pulls out 18" and the baskets within pull out to 16". Easy access to everything. This is the 22 CF model. Maytag Link

·
Registered
155 Posts
When we built this house we went went with all Kitchen Aid appliances. No complaints...except...the in the door ice-maker has it's moments. It will without warning stop working only to start up again on its own. Seems like once every couple of months it takes a day or two off. Seems there was an issue with the wiring in the door itself. We're living with it as the cure is to buy a whole new door (foam insulation in door encases the wiring harness so it is not really repairable).
Save the money on this kind of option and buy ice trays!

·
Registered
595 Posts
We bought a french door refridgerator a couple of years ago. No problems so far, BUT we were warned not to get the water in the door as there are problems with them. So we didn't.
We were advised to compare the different brands, and sure enough, they're all the same, except for trim.
We were told that they're all the same "under the hood". Can't say whether that's the truth or not, but they seem to be TOO close to each other (same size, same layout, same engineering) to be made by different companies. That being said, we chose Whirlpool. It's been a good decision, so far.
Yes I do recommend them, they are efficient and easy to stock (both the refridgerated portion and the freezer) and clean the unit. Yes, you have to bend down to get to the food in the freezer, but at least you can store food in containers more than 6 or 7 inches wide, as is the case with the side by side units (with comperable capacities).
I would buy another in a heartbeat. It's a no-brainer for us, and both of us are pushing 70 years old, so the bottom freezer sure isn't a detriment!!
Good Luck,
Jay67fast

·
Registered
155 Posts
My career takes me into just about every type of manufacturing operation you can imagine. As such, I see all kinds of products being made. Many times, the difference between one product and another is just a label. You'd be shocked at how many Walmart branded food products are the exact same thing as a premium brand. It is simply not cost effective to conduct line changes with every brand switch.
When it comes to something like a fridge, this is not entirely the case. Different brand/price point units may share a shell or components but the guts are typically an upgrade. you do get something better for the money.
Now, is a Viking or Thermador worth it. Of coure not...unless you like to show off how much money you wasted!

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
Re: frigerator assistance needed

Before you go out and buy a new frig, did you try a "hard start kit". They're made to help get it started when it won't start normally (compressor). It's basically an add on capacitor.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts