Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
On the counter depth models, if you have the the space (typically 6"-12") to bump out the non-structural back wall of the refrigerator space (say into a large adjacent laundry room, pantry, or garage) the standard frig can be effectively flush mounted in the refrigerator space for a ton less money than the 24" deep models.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Gotta love Sparky, a woman who gets sticker shock. I've never met or married one.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Gotta love Sparky, a woman who gets sticker shock. I've never met or married one.

Lol I think it's basically because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to stuff like this. :grin2:

·
Administrator
19,632 Posts
Oh yeah? Like less fridge money equals more car money? :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The bad news is that most consumer grade refrigerators have Chinese made compressors in them, and they're notorious for having a short life. Normally, any sealed system failure (including compressors) is usually the end of the road for a refrigerator.

Also, new energy efficient fridges have electronic switch-mode controllers for the compressor motor. High voltage, high current semiconductors like mosfets and IGBTs are notorious for failing for no reason.

I still have my 1993 Whirlpool fridge, and it's not going anywhere. Not one problem, U.S. made compressor driven by a 60hz AC motor.

John

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yup, I have a 98 Kenmore, so far so good ! My All of my appliances are at least as old, my sister-in-law has been through 3 or 4 sets of the "latest & greatest" in that time.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Also, new energy efficient fridges have electronic switch-mode controllers for the compressor motor. High voltage, high current semiconductors like mosfets and IGBTs are notorious for failing for no reason.
John

In my cynical world it doesn't fail for nothing:

Start program: "SUCKER"

{Set mosfet-voltage-multiplier="1"

{{For year=1 to year=11

{{{If year=11 set mosfet-voltage-multiplier="2"

{{Next year

End program

·
Registered
112 Posts
We had a fridge failure 4 years ago, on a holiday weekend ( of course ), and I got a Samsung side by side with icemaker from Sears delivered and set up. So far it's been great. My take on the frightfully expensive WiFi/TV/talking/Google shopping/Facebook oriented appliances? STAY AWAY! FAR, FAR AWAY! Why would anyone need or want a fridge, microwave,washer/dryer, can opener, or any other appliance connected to the easily hacked Internet? Do you want some perv watching you raid the fridge at 2AM in your skivvies, or the Chinese government monitoring all your grocery items? I don't. I will NEVER have any of that IoT ( Internet of Things ) stuff in my home.
And as for that dead smell -- yep, the tried and true Arm& Hammer baking soda box left open inside pretty much eliminates odors, and it's dirt cheap. Plus my cats are paid handsomely to do rodent control.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Bought a matching Kenmore washer and dryer when I came back from Korea in December 1993 and still using both of them. I've had to replace a pulley, a couple of belts, two heating elements, and just recently a thermostat in the dryer in all that time. The washer started leaking about 2 weeks after the warranty expired, so I replaced the leaky pump and never had another issue with it until 2 or 3 years ago when the motor died. $108 dollars later, I got it back up and running. I won't get rid of these two workhorses because they rarely breakdown, and when they do, I can fix them without dropping big bucks on substandard parts.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts