Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty 3 gallon propane tank was refused for a refill by the local gas station because the date was beyond their acceptable range. I assume this is some sort of law that prevents old crusty tanks from leaking or exploding. Mine has a bit of rust on it but otherwise is doing good.
What do you guys do about old propane tanks?
Take 'em somewhere for refurbishing? Recertification?
Trash 'em?
Find a shady bunch of propane salesmen?

Never had this happen before. Must be a simple solution but nobody suggested anything at the station. They always act put out when you want to buy propane.
TIA

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There's some sort of new CA law for BBQ propane tanks. I think it has to do with the addition of an expansion valve. In the beginning of the new law, Home Depot was accepting older tanks in their exchange program.

·
Registered
771 Posts
since 2001 theres a new law about the tanks in the united states all old tanks will not be used any more the new ones u will see have a 3 star shaped valve. home depot takes ol tanks good luck.

·
Registered
553 Posts
switch to charcoal, your tastebuds will thank you for it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

you could cut it in half and use it as a flower pot *EDIT* on second thought, DO NOT cut it in half! There could be residual gas left in the tank, enough that a simple spark could set it off. This maybe exactly why I dont see many propane tank flower pots!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhhhhhh....I'm not using the propane for the barbeque....

Just wanted to know what to do about an outdated tank.....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
One thing that old propane tanks are good for is for compressed air storage tanks. You can adapt an air hose to the valve and have enough air to fill several tires, an air raft, inner tubes for the lake, blow off parts at the race track and such. Very handy.

Check the working pressure of the tank, but I've never seen one that wasn't good for way over 100 lbs..

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
seems it has become law nationwide..you need to get a new tank that sports a different valve..I just picked up a new one at Home Depot..for $19.99..they also take the old tank and dispose of it..by the way for $19.99 the new tank was already filled..so not a bad deal all around

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the skinny. This year a new law went into effect requiring an overfill valve in the tank itself. Actually what it is a a float valve that prevents overfilling of the tank. Looks like a toilet valve, but is inside the tank so you cannot see it.

These new tanks are identified by a triangular shutoff knob as mentioned above.

About your only choice is to replace it. Early in the season The Home Depot and Wall Mart were providing reasonable replacement rates. Just about everyone else was running the consumer over the coals.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with BT3. If you look on DBAY some people are selling the overfill valves because of the new law. I guess if you have a huge tank it may be worth it.

I've been looking out at the curb for old tanks. I need one to use like Hal mentioned. The only one I found so far was a bigger one about the size of a torpedo. I'm not sure if I want something that bulky.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hi Bob,

Your tank has two issues which make it a problem for a local dealer to ethically fill.

One is the hydro is out of date....there's a date stamp on the bottle and they're only good for 12 years. A propane dealer can visually recertify the bottle for another 5 years and will add the appropriate stamp.

The second is the lack of OPD valve, which other posters have alluded to. This clusterf*ck is designed to outwit idiot fillers who habitually overfill propane bottles, creating an unsafe condition if and when the bottles get hot and need to vent...if the level of propane is too high, liquid propane can vent or can go into the propane system of the appliance, which can create a very dangerous condition. The new valve makes it difficult for an inattentive filler to overfill the tank. This valve can be retro-fitted to your tank but IMO, it isn't cost effective, given the price of replacement tanks, which will have a current date stamp and OPD..

I researched this thoroughly as we have an RV and it uses horizontal tanks, which, of our vintage, are currently exempt from OPD.....Carrying around the NFPA codes with us helps educate fillers who are ignorant of the expemption. I generally use on of my customers who has a nurse valve on their 1000 gallon tank for filling forklift tanks but occasionally must fill on the road. This might be an option for you if you know anyone with a bulk tank and nurse valve. As long as your tank isn't dented or shows corrosion damage, IMO, it'll be safe to fill into the foreeable future. I've seen 30-40 yo tanks being filled at my customer's.

If you need any particulars, contact me.

My best advice is just to buy a new tank and enjoy the BBQ..*G*

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Go to one of those "Rhino" tank exchange sites (Lowes, local quickie mart) and you can exchange for a fee for the new one. We bought a house boat from the coast and it had a very rusty tank. Took it in and exchanged it for a shiny one with propane already inside. They really dont care as you are basicly buying the tank with the price anyway...

Otherwise, too cheap of a product to waste time with a resto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts