Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my original gauge cluster has been sitting on the shelf for over a year now (long story, not relevant) and I wanted to have the speedo (w/ trip odometer) and tach refurbished for reliability (they were working fine, but they are 55 years old).
First question, how hard is this? Can I do this myself?
Second question, if I send it out any suggestions. Searching gives me: TachMan,(SC), AutoInstruments (VA), Instrument Services (IL), and Southern Electronics (VA). Anyone with any experience with these vendors.
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
My 67 has 307,000 miles on the original odometer with never a problem. All I did to mine was clean it and repaint the needles and the line that goes from 70 to 120
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Phidon Restorations is a good place for Ford instrument restorations. He fixed the tachometer in my rally pac for me after it shorted out. Works great, easy to deal with and very reasonable.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
My 67 has 307,000 miles on the original odometer with never a problem. All I did to mine was clean it and repaint the needles and the line that goes from 70 to 120
View attachment 869374
I'm not that steady, to use a brush. I have been very successful using vinyl pinstriping tape. One smooth pass with paint, then immediately lift the tape to avoid tape edges.

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
I'm not that steady, to use a brush. I have been very successful using vinyl pinstriping tape. One smooth pass with paint, then immediately lift the tape to avoid tape edges.
You will notice a magnifying glass in the photo...and took my time. Did it free hand.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please excuse my confusion… do you us the tape as an outside boundary for the stripe?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I sent my Speedo for repairs to Bob’s Speedometer here in MI. They can do some pretty spectacular restorations of gauges.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts