Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the Mach1 I bought, the guy lost the title, but did give me a bill of sale and a statement of fact - and said thats all I'll need to register it.

He said ill need to put a block in the car (its currently just a shell) and tow it to the DMV, where they will inspect the vin and issue a new title.

problem is.... its gonna be a pain to get a block in it - does anyone have experience doing this without putting a motor in? or is that just what I need to do.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the guy only lost the title, why doesn't he just request a duplicate of his title from the DMV? Wouldn't it be better than getting a new VIN issued?
I forget his answer - he said something about it would still need to go to the DMV as it had an AZ title or something.
I'm not worried about shenanigans, this guy owns a mustang shop and seemed like a trustworthy old man.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Owner/seller can request a duplicate title from the DMV, then sign it over to you. Call the DMV and ask them how best to proceed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
In order to get a lost title you need to have a running car. The CHP will not register a car unless it can be or looks to be drivable. When I purchased a car without a title about 6 years ago I had it on a trailer and took it to a CHP office to have the vin verified so I could put it in my name and put a non op on it so when it was done and drivable I could just make the registration current, get insurance and drive it but they would not do any of this until it was, or appeared to be drivable. The car at that time had an engine block in it (no carburetor or radiator) and it had not been on the road for about 15 years. I am not sure even if you had the current pink for Arizona that it would be any help unless the DMV will let you register it without having to have the vin verified. It the DMV will let you register the car into your name without having to see the car then that would be the easiest way. Without a drivable car you will not be able to get it registered into your name until after you have worked on it for (years) and then when done, you get it in your name. Before you do anything I would suggest that you take the vin number down to the DVM and have them run the numbers to make sure it is not stolen or have a lean against it. If you are a AAA member you can have them run the numbers (usually a lot simpler than the DMV). AAA can also do all of the registration when you get it close to driving except verifying the VIN. Verifying the VIN must be done by the CHP (you have to make an appointment) or a certified VIN verifier. Look up 'VIN verifiers" on the internet and there should be someone located near you that can come out and verify your VIN and complete all of the paper work that you need to take to the DMV or AAA and get it registered (there is a fee for this type or VIN service). I went this route because when I got the car almost completely done I found that the earliest I could get an appointment with the CHP was 6 weeks away which was not acceptable because I wanted to go to a big car show that was 2 weeks away. I called a local VIN verifier from the internet ant they came out in 2days, went to AAA the next day with my insurance copy for the car and got it registered within an hour.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
In order to get a lost title you need to have a running car. The CHP will not register a car unless it can be or looks to be drivable. When I purchased a car without a title about 6 years ago I had it on a trailer and took it to a CHP office to have the vin verified so I could put it in my name and put a non op on it so when it was done and drivable I could just make the registration current, get insurance and drive it but they would not do any of this until it was, or appeared to be drivable. The car at that time had an engine block in it (no carburetor or radiator) and it had not been on the road for about 15 years. I am not sure even if you had the current pink for Arizona that it would be any help unless the DMV will let you register it without having to have the vin verified. It the DMV will let you register the car into your name without having to see the car then that would be the easiest way. Without a drivable car you will not be able to get it registered into your name until after you have worked on it for (years) and then when done, you get it in your name. Before you do anything I would suggest that you take the vin number down to the DVM and have them run the numbers to make sure it is not stolen or have a lean against it. If you are a AAA member you can have them run the numbers (usually a lot simpler than the DMV). AAA can also do all of the registration when you get it close to driving except verifying the VIN. Verifying the VIN must be done by the CHP (you have to make an appointment) or a certified VIN verifier. Look up 'VIN verifiers" on the internet and there should be someone located near you that can come out and verify your VIN and complete all of the paper work that you need to take to the DMV or AAA and get it registered (there is a fee for this type or VIN service). I went this route because when I got the car almost completely done I found that the earliest I could get an appointment with the CHP was 6 weeks away which was not acceptable because I wanted to go to a big car show that was 2 weeks away. I called a local VIN verifier from the internet ant they came out in 2days, went to AAA the next day with my insurance copy for the car and got it registered within an hour.
Interesting. The complication of involving the CHP must be the missing title?
AAA can definitely verify a VIN. (They did have the seller's Florida title though when I titled and registered my truck in CA)
Triple A went out to the parking lot and had me show them the VIN locations on the vehicle.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Even with all that said, if it were me I'd still want the title from the seller if the CA DMV is going to issue a new VIN without the title. After all, since you don't need the title right away, it would not matter if the request for the duplicate title were to take a few weeks processing time.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even with all that said, if it were me I'd still want the title from the seller if the CA DMV is going to issue a new VIN without the title. After all, since you don't need the title right away, it would not matter if the request for the duplicate title were to take a few weeks processing time.
I have the car in my possession, 400 miles away from the seller - so getting him to do it is unlikely / unfeasible.

I'll call AAA and see what they say

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just talked to the DMV

i will need to bring my

Form REG-5057 (bond form, since sale price was OVER $5000)
REG-343 (application for title)
REG-135 (bill of sale)
REG-256 (statement of fact)

DMV will inspect it and it needs to be "complete" (needing a motor) but does not need to run. If the DMV inspector doesnt think it passes, I will then need to schedule CHP

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I didn't know that HarborFreight rented engine hoists.
The best way to own an engine hoist is to loan it out to other people when you don't need it! Opposite with a car hauler.

I personally would be leery of investing much in a car without a clean title as I have been burned before. Not saying that is the case here.

Having to put a motor in it to start the process seems weird? Tell them your trying to title a very large eco friendly pedal car!

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah! you know him? seemed like a good guy
well I live in FL and was looking for mustangs. He had a few nice ones up for sale and so i chatted with him for a bit about the cars etc. I found out after some research that shipping from Cali to FL is extremely expensive for roller vehicles. But yeah I talked to him a few times he is a very very nice guy.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
If I were you I'd fly or drive to Alabama where according to internet rumor you only need a Bill of Sale to get a title for a vehicle more than 25 years old. Once you have the AL title take it to CA and exchange it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
did you know he didn't have a title when you bought it? i'd call him and make him get the title, if he's the nice, honest guy you say he is, he shouldn't have a problem with it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts