Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to register a antique car bought out of state in MA if the previous owner did not have a title (i.e. as in the state of RI, which does not require Titles on cars over a certain age.)

Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
The easiest way FWIU is to have a bill of sale and a copy of a previous registration with the same name on it.
After that it gets a little trickier :peeping:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Trust me check on everything! I am learning the hard way I sold a car I had and the guy left it on the side of the road after a problem state police came after he removed the plates and left now the car is in the inpound and they will not let it go because the title is not clear.$$$$$$ who owns the car.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
The intent was to take the bill of sale and previous registration to the DMV and get a title

·
Registered
838 Posts
This was the fist and last one done like this, I know have a stack of RMV-1 forms if I pick up anything else.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
How does the RMV-1 work?
Do you have to get it inspected and a new VIN issued?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Go to the ins co that you have get a vin id form call you local police dept have them come over to id the vin . file the vin with the reg and a RMV-1 form it may take some time but you will get it if it's clear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Long Story here:
I have a 68 CJ car that was never registered, and obviously never titled. It had a 1970 inspection sticker on it but it was bogus since the RMV had no info on it. We had to show a bill of sale, get a special form from RMV, the local P.D. was dispatched to authenticate the V.I.N. and that it had not been tampered with. The police signed the form and the title was issued. The bill of sale was from 1980 but told RMV the sales tax was paid in CT so we did not get creamed for interest & penalties. The rest is history!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts