Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights have stopped working, around the same time I replaced the alternator and voltage regulator. The tailightls and the parking lights work, but not the headlights. Any ideas that I can check that aren't the switch(I figure I'll replace that after I check all the free stuff)

Also there is a small little tube that connects between two wires and is grounded near the regulator, what is that? The connection was broken and it had a red piece of paper looped around the wires warning me about something but it was too faded to read.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hello.The small tube is a condensor.It's to keep noise from the engine electrics from coming through the speakers of the radio.The red tag used to say "use of this terminal for other than radio suppression will cause elect. system failure".Did you unhook the headlight ground wires that attach to the engine side of the radiator core support?There's one on each side of the car,kind of near where the horns attach.Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would guess you lost the 15 amp breaker for the headlights in the switch. There are two cicuit breakers inside the switch, one for the headlights and one for the taillights. They are internal and needs the complete switch to be changed out( not difficult). I found this out when my tailights went dead. The tube you see is probably the condenser for the radio to reduce static.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts