Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my Autolite (C5ZF J A 4 HD) 4100 carb ready for use and I've got 2 questions.:
Is the $39 rebuild kit + $10 shipping from The Carb Doctor a good choice?
My other question is how can I improve the looks of my carb? The finish on my 4100 is clean, but dark gray after doing a Pinesol soak.
Also would like to decode the carb tag if anyone knows of a good source.
Thanks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Post the tag info here - someone can help you decode it I’m sure.

I don’t know about the kit you posted, but I got a rebuild kit (plus other miscellaneous parts) from Mike’s Carburetor Parts and was very pleased.

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
Here's my suggestions....

a) Use THIS KIT from Mike's Carburetor Parts. Be sure to check the box for a new choke thermostat as well.
b) There was a float dampener spring used on 2150's in trucks that slows down the float... it's also known as an "anti-slosh" spring. If you're lucky enough to find one it works well on the 4100 primary float.
c) Don't forget to check for a missing secondary vacuum check ball.
d) I also recommend "running" all the orifices with a thin wire. DON'T use one too large or stiff!

As far as the finish goes, the Pine Sol probably removed the original zinc plating. You could try this: Plating Kits

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll order a kit from Mike's, thanks.

Woodchuck, Do the choke thermostats go bad? Mine looks like it would work. Mike's sells a Hot Air Choke Thermostat, is that the one that works with an electric choke? Is it the bimetallic spring that goes bad?

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
I'll order a kit from Mike's, thanks.

Woodchuck, Do the choke thermostats go bad? Mine looks like it would work. Mike's sells a Hot Air Choke Thermostat, is that the one that works with an electric choke? Is it the bimetallic spring that goes bad?
Yes, the springs get "tired" over the course of time expanding and contracting. The hot air thermostat works with the hot air choke. If you have an electric choke its obviously much newer than the car and is probably fine.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the Mike's kit ordered.

Ivy, that carb looked great. I'm going to skip refinishing the carb body as I'm on a budget and I would only have 1 item to refinish with the $300 kit unless I'm looking at the wrong kit? I have DC power supplies so could I get away with one of the $50 packages? I've never plated anything before so I'm not sure about which kit I would need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts