Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the hinge pin/ bushings..went well...
Rehanging doors..Should I remove okd gaskets to get door to line up?? Finding what looks like gasket at lower front keeping door from lineing good at that area..seem to be fighting getting gasket smashed down enough to get door where I want it

Want doors and panels lined up goodd before painting.
Thanks
68 Fastback is the project

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, if door lines up with rear panels well, can you figure on the front fender lineing up well???

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
You need to hang the fenders too before you paint. Aligning doors is a very tricky thing. I would not assume that the front is okay, just cause the door gap is good at the rear.

I don't know of any weatherstripping that should cause interference with mounting a door.

I found an S shaped box wrench works great in accessing hinge bolts with fenders on.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I lined up my 66 fastback doors without any gasket/weatherstripping. It seemed to me that the door should match the quarter panel and lower rocker no matter what. When I later applied the weatherstrip, it was difficult to close the door at first, but after a few openings and closings and sitting shut for about a week, the rubber molded to the proper openings. If I had installed the new rubber first, I doubt it would have allowed proper allignment of the doors. The door catch and body latch post were also removed during this process. After alligning the door with the quarter and rocker, check the front of the door around the front roof pillar to see that it is reasonable, particularly if the vent window frame has been removed. I did mine with the door empty of any glass/mechanisms and the vent window frame removed. I later read that if this is the case, one should add an equivalent amount of temporary weight to the door to load the hinges during allignment. I didn't do this and had to make a slight further adjustment after adding all the inner mechanisms and glass. Overall, the gap between the quarter and door ended up about 1/8" + on average; and the gap between the door and rocker ended up about 3/16" to 1/4" on average. The front fenders were able to fit up to this door position pretty good with door to front fender gaps about the same as the door to quarter. This was a critical install for me as the doors and car body were finish painted before assembly so extra care was necessary. Good luck with yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts