Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I was a punk (wife still challenges me on this one), I ripped the original AC off of my ’66. This was supposed to improve ¼ mile times, by, like, two seconds according to the local speed freak. Slightly embellished comment, but you get the idea.

Parts have been in storage since about ’82. I still have all the parts and the original photos I took before I removed. Now I am thinking, “Dumba$$!”

I am sure I can get it all back together. I have done multiple searches to the site, and am aware of my mistakes (improper storage, new refrigerants, etc.). But what are the odds of ever getting it working properly? If they’re not good I might just remove the interior unit, replace the short console with a long one, and call it a day. What are your thoughts?

Appreciative,

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
you could always send the underdash, condenser, compressor to be rebuilt, and put new hoses and a drier on. Chances are, the seals are all dried out, and I wouldn't trust the hoses. They might even clean out the mouse carcasses for you!.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,653 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. A complete refurbished factory unit from Classic Auto Air in Tampa goes for something like $1295. If you've got rebuildable cores, the cost is likely less. They even have complete new "daily driver" units for less than $1000 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Your condenser and evaporator may be OK. I am just converting a stock system to R-134 with a Sanden compressor. Talk to Classic Auto Air an let them know what you have. They have never tried to sell me more than what I really needed, Good Luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd like to jump on the Classic Auto Air bandwagon. I have rarely found a company (really its people) so friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I also did the change to R-134a and a Sanden compressor. I had a few questions during the job, and Classic gave me immediate and correct answers. The A/C isn't as cold as in my 2002 minivan, but I chalk that up to me not replacing/rebuilding the whole system. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The brackets & fittings alone are worth at least $400. Considering the cost to replace the hoses (maybe $75), rebuilding the compressor and checking the condensor, you'll get away cheaper than if you bought new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts