Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebulding the 351 in the sports roof and was woundering about reinforcing the frame so as not to get any stress cracks, Any thoughts on what would be the main areas to do this and any thoughts on how??

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
SubFrame connectors come to mind. That and make sure that the strut towers aren't cracked or pulling apart at the seam welds.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
There are shock tower reinforcements like the Boss's had available from some suppliers. There is a booklet called Boss 302 Chassis Modifications. Not a whole lot in there but interesting.
Mustangs Plus sells a kit. You could do some of these things yourself like using Vert torque boxes. http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/chassis/index.html

Dan

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Export Brace, Monte Carlo bar, subframe connectors, and the shock tower reinforcements (mentioned by another poster) are all relatively cheap and easy mods to make. That book on Boss 302 chassis mods draws on alot of the Trans Am Mustang chassis secrets used by Ford back in 1969 - 1970 and would make a good starting point.

Somewhere, I recall reading an article on a guy who vintage road races a 69 Boss 429. The thing is supposed to be ungodly fast. IIRC, the article talked about some of the stuff he did to make it handle. Perhaps someone here can refer us to the article.

It was quite some time ago that I read it... and my recollection is kinda fuzzy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts